• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stitches...

CDW

Warren Scout
Hi, can anyone advise. My rabbit was neutered on Friday. After a bit of a difficult weekend (had to take her back to the vet on Saturday as she wasn't eating) she's really picked up and she's hopping around, eating, drinking and munching on hay. She's got a buster collar on which she's managing to cope with, which is just as well as she's been at her stitches at every opportunity. Unfortunately this evening, when my partner took his eye off her for a minute whilst giving her some supervised time with the collar off, she pulled at one of her stitches. It didn't come out immediately but when I checked later it was completely out. The wound is closed over, all the other stitches are fine, there's no blood or anything. Plus I think the vet said that there are more stitches underneath that. So just wondering whether she'll be likely to need another stitch? Or do you think we might get away with this one being out as long as the wound doesn't open? Of course, I will phone my vet first thing in the morning to check, but just wondered if anyone could advise. Thanks!

my little poppy did the same! only one stitch! vets didn't give her a buster collar! but if it is healed then i think that will be ok poppy didn't need another one but call the vet to make sure, and yes i did work ex at a vets and they have 3 types of stitches one for organs one for muscles and one for skin =] hope that puts your mind at rest a bit but may be good to talk to a vet on the phone =]

I'm sure she will be fine but check with vet.One stitch shouldnt really make all that much difference.Just keep an eye that her wound doesnt become red/hot to touch-which would indicate infection,and that it remains closed.
naughty bunny!!:no:

One of ours had pulled all his stiches out within 5 days. He was fine, the vet advised checking everyday for signs of infection - as stated: red, soreness, weeping/discharge from wound etc.

Back