• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Question: Ruby's going in for her spay tomorrow

Candiflare

Mama Doe
I'm taking Ruby into the vets tomorrow morning for her spay... should I take Ralph in too (her bonded partner) and have him wait in the carrier until she comes out? Or should I just reunite them when I bring her home?

I dont knnow about the extra charge, I think that is up to each individual vet. I would take the other bun too, we always send bonded pairs in together when they need to go in from the sanctuary.

Talk to your vet about it as some vets may separate them anyway during the recovery process. But having the other rabbit there helps in my opinion as it makes for one less stressor for the poorly rabbit to get over

My vet didnt charge me to have Benjy's tear ducts flushed and clip his teeth when he was under when neutered.

I feel the general concensus is to take both bonded buns so that they still smell familiar and to help with recovery, i think!.

Good Luck tomorrow:D

hi, just came across this post and was wondering whether they were house rabbits or outside. only asking because i want to get my male outside bunny neutered but not sure because of the way the weather has been and wondered if they were outside bunnies if you had any extra tips to keeping them extra warm thanks

hi, just came across this post and was wondering whether they were house rabbits or outside. only asking because i want to get my male outside bunny neutered but not sure because of the way the weather has been and wondered if they were outside bunnies if you had any extra tips to keeping them extra warm thanks

My Benjy WAS an outside bun, before he was neutered 4 weeks ago, but due to the weather he is now an inside bun:lol: and will be now until weather hots up.

Whenever any of my buns go to the vets for the day or overnight their bonded partner always goes with them without fail.
I don't think they would charge you extra to check her teeth, if they burr them they definately will though.

My vets dont charge for checking teeth, generally its normal practise for them to do so. I dont normally get charged for getting his nails clipped either :)

Ergh, I've just had to leave Ralphy at home, so they're now apart. I called the vets this morning to check that they were prepared for two rabbits (Ruby and Ralph her bonded partner) not just one and they said I couldn't bring him. They also said I shouldn't reunite them until tomorrow, even if she comes back tonight.

I don't understand, I thought the point of bonded pairs was that they're together all the time? Now she'll have the vets smell on her and she and Ralphy might need rebonding.

They're a good vet generally, but they don't seem particularly bothered about rabbit bonds.

I had the same thing with my vet - they're generally really good (well as far as I've been able to test them so far) but it's their policy not to allow buns in together when one has a GA in case the partner squishes his/her drowsy friend while they're coming round. :roll:

They also advised me to keep them apart until the following day but I ignored that part and just put them straight back together when I got home. All was fine. :)

Back