• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much do your rabbits weigh?

Lauralopps

Young Bun
I have a 11 month old mini lop rabbit - although hes not that mini any more! Hes really tall so i think thats what makes him look bigger.
I weighed him the other day on my wii fit and hes 2.5kg. Does that seem to heavy for his age? Im a bit worried he could be overweight! :shock:

The vet weighed mine on Friday and they were 1.8 I think, he was happy with that weight maybe yours is a touch big?

ETA. when I say mine I mean my mini lops. Nutmeg was 1.3 and Smudge wasn't weighed cos he wasn't having a vaccination.

Last edited:
my conti bluebell weights 19lb,i got another conti today that i will have weighed when we go to the vets next week

I think hes either a dwarf or a rather big mini! Mini's ideal weight is 1.5kg (thats for show) do you have a pic? Where did you get him was it from someone who shows?

Doesnt sound very 'mini'!! :D Although I gather they vary in size. It's more important that he 'feels' right for his size.

Sooty (the fawn one) is a mini lop and she's 1.4kg. Muppet (grey and white one) seems to have Netherland dwarf somewhere in his history and is 1.7kg although he seems a lot bigger than Sooty (I think she's quite small as mini lops go).

Ted's 7kg! :lol::lol:

Roobs was 3kg last time she was weighed (she's 4 months) so will be far more now!

New girlie is in the middle...I'd guess 4kg.

Tinkerbell is a giant conti x french lop, she's a mere 2kg at around 12 weeks old.. :lol:

*gulp* :lol::lol::lol:

It does sound as though your bun is more of a dwarf lop size. :) Alfie and Bubbles are both mini's and weigh 1.6kg and 1.3kg respectively.

Woah that sounds quite big to me! Maybe he's a dwarf lop as others have suggested.
Pipkin is a nethie and last time I weighed him he was about 800g but I'm hoping that's going up cause he's underweight at the minute.
Ruby is 1.8kg and a lionhead cross. Fairly small but quite thick set.

when i bought him i bought him as a mini lop, but maybe he is a dwarf lop?!
He is quite lazy too, so maybe he is overweight, i will stat slowly cutting his food down. He lives inside so he has free run of the house, so its not like he doesnt have the space. Here is a most recent pic of him. Oh and he is slightly lion head too, would that make a difference?

XMAS0923.jpg
[/IMG]

XMAS0925.jpg

XMAS0929.jpg

He's a dwarf crossed with a lion head. (I think some call it a lion-lop)

I wouldn't worry about the weight, so long as she feels healthy. Cross breeds can vary dramatically!

Just found this http://www.rabbitweb.net/what-breed.asp

this says the max weight of a mini lop is 6.5lbs, which is about 3kg, so maybe Austin is a mini lop but on the higher end of the scale?!!! Hmmm....

That's a US site...Americans call a minilop what we call a dwarf lop. They call a minilop a holland lop. Confusing, huh? :lol: Your bun has more of the face shape of what I as an englishperson would call a dwarf lop - minilop faces are much flatter.

You can't really judge whether your bun is an ok weight by comparing with others - it's a bit like saying that all humans should weigh 10 stone and then judging whether people are over or underweight compared to that - a nonsense. Of course once you've judged what a healthy weight is for your bun, it is helpful to weigh him regularly as it can help you to pick up on any illnesses before they get serious :)

You should be able to feel the top of your rabbits spine and just be able to make out its ribs and hips. If you can feel the sides of the spine and a lot of bone around the hips and ribs then your bun may be a little underweight, and conversely if you can't feel any of those bones at all, your bun may be a little overweight. You can't really tell whether a bun is over/underweight by feeling its belly, it is much more reliable to feel over its back :)

Last edited:
Yeah i can feel his spine ribs and hips, so hopefully hes not overweight, but yes i will keep an eye on it from now on. Now iv got the wii fit plus i can weigh him a bit better, hes not very good at standing still on the scales in the bathroom!! Thanks for all the feedback and comments people your all very helpful :D

Back