• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do bunnies use cat flaps ok? what sort?

kaths101

Warren Veteran
Hi, Im working on my shed / run idea - Im thinking a 6x4 shed and a cat flap into a 7 x 3 run.

I know people have similar set ups so what flaps do you use>?? I think i would like one you can close to stop them going out if I need to..

Is there one that you can slide plastic/board in from the outside to close it off??

I have a dog flap for my giants... they have to have help from Bill to keep it open for them :oops: :lol: Id get a magentic one if you can, then for the first few weeks you can take the magnet out the bottom until they get used to it ;) I also shut mine up everynight with the plastic board thing they give you :)

ETA something like this would be ok for normal sized bunnies :) It has the plastic thing you can put on of a night to stop them getting out :)

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8701480/Trail/searchtext>CAT+FLAP.htm

xXx

Last edited:
Ted used to escape through two in my mums house! :roll: (even if they were blocked he still managed it!:roll::roll:)

I'd get the biggest one you can (within reason....still cat, not dog)! Some bunnies don't like them, as they are scared.

I have a small dog flap too incase the size of bun in the accommodation ever changes. Mine had a magnetic strip but they chewed it off :roll: I left it wedged open for the first few days and then they were fine :)

IMGP1656.jpg

I took the magnetic strip off as they couldn't open it, but now, as you can see, they can!

Thankyou, so do you leave them open for the buns to go in and out as they please or do you lock them in at night?

Our buns used them even before the man had quite finished fitting them!! Florence (our 3 legged bun Now at the bridge) almost got stuck in the cavity wall as he hadn't put the 'tunnel' bit in yet that you need for walls . . . he just turned his back to pick up the bit and she was through!

We now have several two buns that regularly use the catflap and I am sure the others would if they were allowed.

We have the expensive catflaps that only work for the animal with the approptriate microchip fitted (ie the bun has an id chip in its neck - but then my house buns have these anyway in case they find the front door!!!!).

It means that nothing else can come through the flap that doesn't have the right chip. So no neighbours cats (or foxes!).

:wave: I have a shed with catflap out to a run with hutch above, we got ours from pets at home, it locks and I do tend to lock it at night in this cold weather but, not till quite late as Ness does like to pop in and out, the shed is right by the house so she can see into the kitchen and sits watching whats going on :lol: I found the link for you on PAH I think we paid £24.99 for it but, it's only £19.00 at the moment. Its got a small magnet on the bottom to prevent it constantly swinging and keep it shut in windy conditions. There is a small gap at the top which allows air in, when it was really cold I put a pile of hay in front of it once it was locked to block any draught.
http://www.petsathome.com/webapp/wc...eId=10551&catalogId=10601&langId=-1&x=20&y=16 it's the second one in from the left on the second row.
My OH built a little ramp on the outside as it is a drop otherwise and awkward going in.
DSC00342.jpg

from inside the shed
DSC00343.jpg

Sorry about pic quality, on phone. Just went out and locked it (pic taken before I locked it, you just turn the two red 'knobs' either side and it locks it) It's dark but, outside light was on so hope you can see OK.

Let me know if you want a pic of the heater, it's really easy just two brackets which enclose the tubular heater from Argos and then screw to the shed wall.
http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...gId=-1&searchTerms=tubular+heater&Submit=GO+>

(4 screws) I have it about a metre or so high (well out of bunnies reach). It does have a safety cut out aswell although I turn off just as I go to bed and then put on when I get up, she usually goes out for a couple of hours in the morning but, I put it on when she goes into the outside run/hutch and leave it on till later. I have the same dilemma as you at the moment as Ness is outdoor and loves it and Gizmo is indoor and loves it, I will judge it over the summer but, I think I am going to have them indoor (ish) a conservatory or garden room over winter and in the shed/outdoor in spring/summer. Best of both then :lol: Hope that helps x

This is mine - cement was still wet after I put it in

CIMG2340.jpg

I put a pile of slabs in to get the right height - its lower inside

CIMG2346.jpg

Edit - multi locking - all open, all closed, in only, out only - magnetic round flap to keep draught out - from Argos - can't remember how much

Oh yeah meant to add, I only showed Ness once how to do it and she was fine not sure if because it's transparent perspex on the 'flap' that helps as they can see through it slightly ?

Thank you that is really useful and the little heater looks good - I am going to be mega paranoid about them being out there but Im hoping it will be for the best!!

Thanks for the links, the flap looks good, gives lots of options - they must get frustrated when sometimes they can get out and sometimes cant :?:lol:

me too

That's the one we have on the house, too. The lock is designed to be worked from the inside, so you'd have to fit it back to front, but I don't see that that'd matter - the fox won't be able to twiddle the settings. You can lock it so it won't open for in or out, or you can lock it to allow one-way traffic either way.

Our first rabbit watched the cat use it and tried straightaway to follow suit to get in the kichen after she'd escaped her hutch.

We don't use one for the buns because the hutch doesn't open onto the rabbit garden - they have to be carried to and fro morning and evening. But I've no doubt buns can use them fine.

One note of caution - bigger fatter buns may need a small dog flap instead. And buns with very long ears might get in a fix?

Good luck

As I had Photobucket open thought I'd post this - it was before the carpet went down and the hutch was sorted but gives you an idea, cat flap is to the right on indoor pic, shed on right of outdoor pic is other bunnies house (different run):wave:

CIMG2388.jpg

CIMG2324.jpg

Thank you that is really useful and the little heater looks good - I am going to be mega paranoid about them being out there but Im hoping it will be for the best!!

Thanks for the links, the flap looks good, gives lots of options - they must get frustrated when sometimes they can get out and sometimes cant :?:lol:

Ness doesn't seem to mind me locking it, I did leave it open and one night she sat out there and was running backward and forward through it everytime she saw me in the kitchen, when I went into the shed she was making this sort of noise, it sounded like she had a cold? I fussed her for ages and gave her a treat and 'settled' her, gave her a kiss goodnight and she was fine, I pile the hay up infront of it when it is locked and she knows now, it's routine. I do have fox wire on the run but, I do get cats (hazard of feeding birds) and when we had the snow I heard a fox run down the side of my garden:roll: I checked and there were footprints, either that or a dog? I am sure it was a fox, I don't lock it till earliest 11pm and it's open again at 6am and she has the shed so plenty of room to move around if she wants. I usually go and say goodnight aswell before I go up and give her another cuddle after I've let the dog out :roll: if I don't she thumps :lol: It's funny but, she honestly does prefer it, I think she likes the 'mothering' bit and she settles then and relaxes more and it's just piece of mind for me that nothing can hurt her. Come the summer I might not to be honest it will be up to her, she comes running in when I go out there every night knowing I will lock it and she doesn't move the hay or make any attempt to use it so she is happy I am sure :)

Back