• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Frankie needs his eye ducts flushing

lottielouise

Wise Old Thumper
Before Christmas Frankie had his first dental. It now looks like he is going to need his eye duct flushing.

Can anyone tell me how successful this is? Anyone know if it is covered on insurance of a dental bun. I think it may be excluded now because he is a dental rabbit.

Any one know the costs of it?

Also what can I do in the mean time? I have beens washing it for him

Last edited:
Has he had skull radiographs to assess his tooth roots ? That would give you a better idea as to if the problem is likely to be chronic.

I dont know about Insurance cover, you'd need to check with your Insurer.

Vet's prices differ so again I cant help with that either. If done without the need for sedation then it should not cost much more than a normal Consult.

Jasmine had hers done when she had her dental...they can do it without GA if the rabbit co-operates.

Bugsy has his done every now and then and his are done awake .

Doesn't cost much at my vets,in with the dental I think it was about £10 for the flush .

Its £17 per eye at our vets without a GA. If he is booked in specifically for a tear duct flush you don't normally have to pay a consult fee on top, which at our vet is a lot more than £17 :)

As he is a dental bun and this is the most likely cause then I doubt the insurance would pay but if it is due to some other kind of infection then they might but I expect there would be an excess which is higher than the cost of the fush :?

:? At least it is a relatively cheap thing, just hope he stays still. Off to the vets on Tuesday then.

When he had his dental the vet said, if he was just having a general check up and she saw his teeth, she wouldn't have recommended a dental. they were that small. But as he was loosing weight she did it. She said while he was under she thinks he is a lot younger than my first guestimate, at 8 months, rather than my guess of 18months. Which makes me think that it was his young age/competing with two other buns, that was making him thin, over his teeth. However, with this it makes me wonder if it is his teeth giving him trouble:?

Back