• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Metaclop and babies

chloaster

Warren Veteran
Can you give a feeding mum metaclop? One of our mummy bunnies has stopped eating and I'm thinking best to give it to her as if we lose her we lose the babies but is it harmful to them?

Andy is on the phone to the vets but our out of hours vets are awful .... :(

Personally I'd be reluctant to risk giving it without being certain there was no obstruction :?

I would be reluctant to administer it to a lactating Doe without a Vet examing the Doe first :? I dont know if the same applies in Rabbits but in humans metoclop' passes into breast milk and carries the potential of causing cns problems in the baby :?

I hope Mummy Bun will be OK

Thanks guys - why is there never a straight answer to these type of questions? The vet has advised that it can be given so we're going to keep an eye on her, chase her around a bit and see how she goes for a little while and then take it from there. Don't really want to have to drug her up.

Another thought, if she Kindled in the last few days then the Anorexia may be due to pregnancy toxaemia :cry:

http://wildlife1.wildlifeinformation.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Pregnancy_toxaemia_lagomorphs.html

She had them monday night and she hasn't experienced any of the conditions said to potentially bring it on, she's not lethargic and doesn't seem depressed it's just the not eating and her tummy feels a bit bloated and gassy - she is drinking still but we have subcuts at home should she become dehydrated. She's quite happy exploring the conservatory at the moment ....

If your vet thinks that none of the other gut motility agents would help, then I'd be inclined to just use it and hope for the best. Without their mum these babies stand very little chance of survival anyway...so keeping mum alive by any means must be for the best IMHO

hope she will be ok chloe. If she's hopping around that's a good sign. Andy wont be getting much sleep tonight huh!

Back