• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Random chook pics :D

shibby69

Warren Scout
Just took some random pics of some of my hens - they're not all here (i have 24), but i thought you might like to see the ones i did get :)

Opal
DSC_0073.jpg

Faye
DSC_0041.jpg

Muffin - needs her feathery feets washing again!
DSC_0042.jpg

Maggie
DSC_0044.jpg

Fauna
DSC_0049.jpg

Lottie
DSC_0050.jpg

Fleur
DSC_0052.jpg

Loubie
DSC_0061.jpg

Hettie
DSC_0063.jpg

Ruby
DSC_0059.jpg

Hope you like! :)

Fleur is gorgeous, I haven't seen a hen with feathers like that before. Very pretty!

She's a mille fleur barbu d'uccle, and they get very very very spotty, but she's just a youngster at the moment so she's quite plain as far as spots go :)

Lovely patterns :D:D

Why so many? Just out of interest as i don't know anyone who owns hens :wave::wave:

I guess there are quite a few reasons really! They make lovely pets, they're very individual, they have lovely characters, the kids have learnt alot from knowing exactly where their eggs are from and knowing how important it is to keep hens healthy and happy, i suppose the list could go on! They love being in their flock and all of them get on very well together, it's great having them around :)

I did start with two originally... :lol:

Their completely gorgeous scrummy totally fantastical eggs are a beautiful bonus too of course :) I did get the first two as pets, and so that i knew the eggs i had on my plate were from well looked after hens, and it just kind of went from there!

Suprisingly they're not all that noisy - if you keep their shed/coop/wherever covered well and let them out when they wake up and have food ready they're pretty quiet :) Never had any complaints *touches wood*

Shredded wheat and warm porridge are my weapons to keep them quiet if they wake up early or anyone in particular is being a noisy madam :lol: They wake up earlier in the summer because it gets light earlier on and they'll stay out longer at night too because it doesn't get darker until later. At the moment though they're awake at about 7am and back to bed by 5pm :)

Suprisingly they're not all that noisy - if you keep their shed/coop/wherever covered well and let them out when they wake up and have food ready they're pretty quiet :) Never had any complaints *touches wood*

Shredded wheat and warm porridge are my weapons to keep them quiet if they wake up early or anyone in particular is being a noisy madam :lol: They wake up earlier in the summer because it gets light earlier on and they'll stay out longer at night too because it doesn't get darker until later. At the moment though they're awake at about 7am and back to bed by 5pm :)

:shock::shock: I must have a really lazy bunch!!! Matilda can still be in bed past half 8 and they have all gone to bed by 4pm!!! I go to check on them and they are all snuggled up in their beds.

And I agree with you on them being quiet. The only time they where noisy was when they were still growing up and thought they were roosters:oops: Cue me running down the garden several times a day shouting ' Be quiet - You are all girls!!!'

:lol: It's worse in the summer, they're up for six, half past five some mornings! I'm always up early anyway though so it doesn't bother me, providing they keep the noise down it's alright :) I know what you mean about them thinking they're roosters, Loubie, crowed on saturday! She crouches and should be coming into lay soon once the weather picks up - talk about confused!

What lovely colours of birds, chickens come in such a range of shapes, sizes and colours don't they.
Is Hettie a frizzle, how does she cope in the winter with the fluffy feathers.

What lovely colours of birds, chickens come in such a range of shapes, sizes and colours don't they.
Is Hettie a frizzle, how does she cope in the winter with the fluffy feathers.

They do indeed come in a huge range of colours, shapes and sizes :) It's great :)

Hettie is indeed a frizzle, she's a frizzle cochin :) She copes just fine in the winter, much the same as the others really, but then my girls get warm porridge on these cold mornings, and high protein foods like mealworms and tuna to keep them nice and chunky so they'll stay warm :) The high protein is always good for when they moult their feathers too, it helps them to gain their condition back.

The girls also get vitamins/apple cider vinegar in the water and then poultry spice in their food - all of these things help them to keep healthy, which in turn helps them to keep themselves warm :) They have sheltered areas and straw for night time, but honestly the chook shed is like a sauna, they keep so warm! I worry about the smaller girls or those with feathery feet too, so i check everyones feet in the evenings when they go to bed, to make sure they don't go to sleep with cold tootsies :)

I have the vitamins and the cider vinegar ( horses get some) but haven't used them yet, do you really feel it makes a difference. All my birds are geriatric now and starting to be hit by various problems, we think to reduced immunity because of their age. I give mine layers pellet, available all the time, corn/ maize scatter at lunchtime and cooked potatoes, but it is very hard to get weight onto them now, they are just OAPs.

Do you have any auracanas, we have one and she has been a really lovely bird, Jemima, she's 7 now and still laid eggs last year, most of the others didn't bother.:lol:

Back