• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does anyone have piggies too?

cally73

Young Bun
Just wondering if any of you have piggies? We have bunnies and hamsters and would like some piggies too? Are they easy to handle? My daughter (4) is animal mad. She handles the hamsters with ease but finds the rabbits difficult. They are not really snuggly buns. Never had guinea pigs before so thought I would ask for your advice?

I have 2 boys. If YOU want them that is great but please don't get them for a child. They can be very easily damaged if picked up wrong (which kids can do) however, they also sit very well on knees :)

They are great pets as they are really fun to watch and communicate with you which is lovely.

If you want to know anything in particular then just ask. Or join us over here:

http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/index.php

We have piggies and I ADORE them.

As already mentioned, please do not get piggies for a child. As long as YOU are prepared to look after them then I would say go for it! :D

I would say, however, that they are NOT easy to look after. In my experience, Guinea Pigs are extremely delicate creatures who can go downhill very quickly.

They do not really enjoy being handled on the whole. They like lots of places to hide and feel safe and they can be difficult to catch. I have NEVER been bitten by a piggy and I have owned them for 13 years.

Like rabbits, they require company of their own kind. 2 males can get on if they have always been together or if you have a baby boy with an older male. Females get on quite well, although can have little 'squabbles' occasionaly.

We have 2 groups of 10, each with 1 neutered male and 9 females. We also have 2 pairs of boys. Or groups get on GREAT and they are a delight to watch.

All in all, I think Guinea Pigs are wonderful little things. They are cheeky, chatty and funny and, although they can be stressful when poorly, I couldn't be without them in my life. :love:

I know a pair that LOVE being handled and will sit for hours and fall asleep on their owners lap....incidentally she's a child but I still don't advise them being soley for children

We have four here, three girls and a lone boar :roll:

we have 2 rescue girls and 2 brothers, they are ok to handle but love nothing more than hiding! the kids got bored very early on so it was lucky they were for me and hubbie!!

The best thing to do would be to get intouch with your local rescue (if you need help finding that let me know) and go along and have what I call a piggie session, alot of rescues will help you decide if they are for you ie: handling them, cleaning them out, health checks etc. I would say that half of my piggies here like being held and stroked and the other half like just running around with less human contact.

Some guinea pigs you will find just want to live by themselves with the smell and sight of other pigs around them, but it is nice to have 2 or more together as they chat away to each other and are great company.

Back