• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

dog coats...

coco1200

Warren Veteran
I need help!!! Oscar keeps eating/biting off Noisettes scabs on her back. She's on long term treatment of Baytril for her abscess, and I can let you guys know now its working fantastically.

The vet gave me some needles which are a fair bit bigger than what I am used to injecting her with, and I am sure it was the problem that caused the 'Baytril Burn'. The vet has seen her scabs, and she said its dead common when injecting baytril, and I should keep an eye on it to make sure its not infecting or whatever. Its been healing really nicely, but Oscar keeps eating her scabs!!! :evil: Its looking a little sore, and I have been bathing it with some saline, but I can't do anything about him eating them. I am sure its stopping her from healing properly, because one scab she has on her back has been there since Christmas! I don't want to put any creams on there becuase i'm worried Oscar might eat it :oops:

so, I am now thinking it might be best if I bought her a dog coat for her to wear to stop him from getting at them! Of course, I will introduce it to both of them slowly so they get used to it (Noisette wearing it and Oscar seeing his wife wearing it) but I really think that this may help with the scabs healing. Is there anything else you guys can think of?

The dog coat would be a temp idea, only for a couple of months until her scabs have have gone :wave:

Would it be safe for her to wear overnight? What if she got her legs caught in it while trying to get it off and hurt herself?

A jumper may be a better idea, one that is quite tight so no chance of slipping. They come quite high above the hind legs so I don't think they would get caught.

If you look up a very old thread by rabswood, she bought one for her little girl after she went for her spay to stop her shewing her stitches and it worked really well.

Careful with sizes though. Not sure if you'd get one giant sized lol. I bought a small one for fidget and it was too small for her :shock::shock: (bear in mind this was designed for a dog and Fidget, well you've seen how small Fidget it :lol:)

Baby t-shirt or a vest with the poppers on.

We used a child's t-shirt on the dog when she wouldn't leave her stitches alone worked really well.

That sounds like a plan!!

When injecting baytril over a sustained period it irritates...there's no way to stop it. All I was told was to try and get different parts of the scruff, so it wasn't just one point getting injected. She's also likely to start getting very tough neck skin. Try not to inject where she's got the scabs, as it'll bloody hurt.....although I'm sure you know that!!

A doggy jumper sounds like a plan (so long as it fits well!) I have one I can send you to try if you want. It fits Teddy (But he's a fatty!) Think it was a medium Accesorize one.

Baby gro :)

I cut it and stitched it so size :)

2007_1002bunnygrow0016.jpg

xs or s dog clothes should fit your rabbits, although I'd get quite a few cheap ones as they will chew it.

Ali, I am beginning to run out of room on her back! I've been injecting on the sides now! The poor girl hates injections so much.... If she ended up destroying Teddy's jumper I would feel awful... the chances of her chewing it up to begin with is very likely!

I will have to invest in a tight dog jumper then :D I didn't think about her getting caught in it... and it won't be too insulating either that way, so she won't get too hot!

xs or s dog clothes should fit your rabbits, although I'd get quite a few cheap ones as they will chew it.

:lol: her leg would fit in a XS, she is a giant bun... her chest is 20", AND she is underweight!! :shock: Think I will have a search for some dead cheap ones! Or, if baby grows work out cheaper maybe look for one of them! Thanks a lot guys!

Ali, I am beginning to run out of room on her back! I've been injecting on the sides now! The poor girl hates injections so much.... If she ended up destroying Teddy's jumper I would feel awful... the chances of her chewing it up to begin with is very likely!

I will have to invest in a tight dog jumper then :D I didn't think about her getting caught in it... and it won't be too insulating either that way, so she won't get too hot!

:lol: her leg would fit in a XS, she is a giant bun... her chest is 20", AND she is underweight!! :shock: Think I will have a search for some dead cheap ones! Or, if baby grows work out cheaper maybe look for one of them! Thanks a lot guys!

He doesn't wear it, so she can rip it up all she wants.....it's not very girly though. Here it is modelled on Solomon...

938.jpg

(It has been washed since!)

Tis completely up to you! There's the offer of the babygro too! Poor Noisy!!:(

I got Holly's baby gro's from asda, couple of quid for 3, but i had to get small because she is a little bunny.

You could probably do with one without arms, i needed arms on mine as Holly had a leg injury. I did have to cut and sew it a bit, and do away with the bottom bit of the gro (obviously), but it worked a treat. She wore it day and night.

oooh are you sure Ali? I would hate to do it, if you still wanted it! I will send a PM now!

and Sharon, thats excellent, I will have a look at the baby grows next time I am at Asda :D

Back