• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spare a thought for the longhaired bunnies at this time for year

BunnyBekkie

Warren Veteran
I've just spent an hour grooming Wookie coz his fur got damp and matted up with all the wet weather we've had.
He's not a small bunny either. He's a frenchie x lionhead. And it's not lovely soft silky fur like most lionheads, it's really thick and wooley. It's like a fleece.

I'm sure Wookie isn't the only bunny like him in the world, and I'm scared to think the state some of these bunnies could be in. People see these gorgeous fluffy bunnies and have no idea how much maintainance these long coats need. We're forever having to trim the fur on his face coz it grows so thick so fast. I don't mind the work that goes into him, but he does. He's such a nervous bunny :(

I wouldn't change my big boy for the world. I love him so much, and he's such a mummy's boy. When I was little I'd always wanted a french lop, but was never allowed one. But when I was older and had Biscuit & Nibbles and started to know a bit more about bunnies, I wondered what it would be like to a giant crossed with a lionhead. I always thought it would be one of the cutest bunnies I'd ever see. Then I saw Wookie. This lovely fluffy chocolate brown monster. I had no idea he was a frenchie cross until I adopted him. I finally had my big fluffy bunny. Wookie is only a mini-frenchie though. He only weighs about 3kg :love: But he looks just like one. He's long and has a massive tail :lol: But he's too fluffy. The only bit that's shorthaired on him, is his back, and that's still really quite long. I've had to trim him down everywhere this morning. Even his tail. I try to keep it easy by getting his fur pretty much the same length everywhere that matts up easily. Like around his tail, back of his head, even the bottom of his feet matt up! But because I'm trimming it down, he's losing the slightly waterproof bit on the top, so eventhough he's fleecey, he's not waterproof, so I have to make sure he's dry.

Sorry. I was just thinking when I was grooming him about the poor longhaired ones that get forgotten about :(

he is one lucky bunny having a caring mummy like you to keep his coat well groomed and trimmed ... like you i dread to think of those that sit there matted and uncomfortable :(:(

i know what you mean, i have been grooming fuzzy alot in this weather too.

i feel for all the bunnies not being looked after in this weather :(
frozen water... hardly any hay or food... because it got soo cold.

:(

he is one lucky bunny having a caring mummy like you to keep his coat well groomed and trimmed ... like you i dread to think of those that sit there matted and uncomfortable :(:(

Have I ever told you I have to brush his ears every day? I've never known a bunny with long hair on their ears before. But he can't bring them round to his mouth when he wants to clean them and usually ends up nearly falling over :lol:

Have I ever told you I have to brush his ears every day? I've never known a bunny with long hair on their ears before. But he can't bring them round to his mouth when he wants to clean them and usually ends up nearly falling over :lol:

my fuzzy has long hair on her ears too!!
:lol::lol::lol:

I kept saying that I wanted a angora.... but its so impractical if you don't have the time to brush their fur regularly! I think I would end up shaving it all off :oops:

After all, I only want an angora so when I brush its fur, I can use the brushed stuff to make some crafts :lol::lol::lol:

I kept saying that I wanted a angora.... but its so impractical if you don't have the time to brush their fur regularly! I think I would end up shaving it all off :oops:

After all, I only want an angora so when I brush its fur, I can use the brushed stuff to make some crafts :lol::lol::lol:

I can supply you with Cashmere fur if you want some :)

Poor Wookie!! :( Do you have any pictures of the wonderbun?!

He's so lucky to have you as a mummy!

I know someone with a French Angora (She got her when she was 4 months, as a rescue, because her owners thought she was a fully grown lionhead...:shock::lol::lol:) She has regular gut problems because she eats her fur. Even with daily brushings she gets matts that need to be trimmed out. Poor girlie!:(

Poor Wookie!! :( Do you have any pictures of the wonderbun?!

He's so lucky to have you as a mummy!

I know someone with a French Angora (She got her when she was 4 months, as a rescue, because her owners thought she was a fully grown lionhead...:shock::lol::lol:) She has regular gut problems because she eats her fur. Even with daily brushings she gets matts that need to be trimmed out. Poor girlie!:(

I'll upload some pics of Wookie Monster tomorrow. He's such a wuss though. Whenever I go to take a pic, he cowers in a corner and looks like a mop :lol: He's a very daft bunny though :) He ran away scared from a grasshopper last summer :roll:

This is why I keep Bungle indoors. He is a cashmere lop so any damp or mud would take hours to brush out and he hates being groomed!

I brushed mine today - the lionheads anyway - as they are moulting. Not too bad when they are indoors. Nutmeg hates being brushed. I can get Smudge to let me brush his tummy but Nutmeg? No way.

Leo keeps getting damp and matted fur on his back too. Only thing is, he's not a fluffy bun! He's just an normal furred lop... But he has no incisors so i guess i can't blame him too much! :lol: He doesn't want to sit still for long for me to try and brush the matted bits out either!

wheeee, thank you Tracy and Rachael! I need to order a bamboo mat though, so I can actually do some felting with it, but I will be in touch shortly ;)

Daz is an angora cross. Before we moved he used to go outside in his run but escaped a couple of times..... He would get twigs, bits of brambles, moss etc all stuck in his fur so I would spend ages detangling him. The worst time was when he got under the decking and covered in sand. It took a long time trying to de-sand him.

I trim his hair regularly and brush him everyday but he still gets mats. He is an indoor bun now......

Back