• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Commercial milking of rabbits?

Sounds interesting, although we can't really judge if we don't know how they're kept

**This paragraph sums it up for me, I don't like the genetic modification of animals in labs to save money which in the end is all they are doing it for.
It's not natural and I expect the whole process is awful for the animals, that is just my sceptical opinion. I don't like it or agree with it. I know it may help save human lives but, there is an alternative which may be more expensive but, is preferable to me to avoid animal suffering. I dread to think what experiments took place to 'discover' this in the first place.:cry:

**C1 can be harvested from human blood and other animal sources, but is expensive to obtain and carries the risk of contamination and infection with viruses such as Aids or CJD, the human version of “mad cow disease”. Such issues do not arise with milk from the high-tech rabbit farm.

In a human being,lactation can be kept going by stimulation.
Im only hoping that one lot of babies were born to get it running so to speak and then some hormone treatment of some sort and pump to keep it all going so no more babies are required.
Its all rather scary and God only knows what the fellows with big foreheads will think up next!!!:shock::shock:

Rabbit milk is very very nutritious, plus like they said in the article rabbits reproduce easily

yes but the sheer volume of milk that comes out of a dairy cow must be the equivalent of a hundred rabbits. Infact yes I just caclulated it 100 rabbits exactly. I guess that it is true that you would be able to build up a breeding stock faster but I think there is a reason that the majority of milk drunk in the Uk is cow & not rabbit based.

Last edited:
but rabbits only feed thair young for a few minutes in the early morning and then again in the evening and i cant imagine it would be a productive use of man hours to attach and deattatch the apparatus on what would be thousands of rabbits required to produce milk in large enough quantity to be marketed?

not to mention the whole thing just conjures mental images of rabbits in battery style cages
(bonding thousands of rabits so they can run free range?....or catching them for milking twice a day?...no. they will be in cages to small to turn around in.)

:censored::evil:
disturbing.

I just started doing some additional research and I found this:

"The rabbits are milked using mini pumping machines that attach to the female rabbits' teats. The method "can roughly be compared to cow milking, but of course on a smaller scale," de Vries said.

And like dairy cows, the rabbits stay relaxed and appear to suffer no discomfort during milking."

My reaction? Hahahahahahahahhahahahahahaha no. I can not imagine a rabbit that would be relaxed with NO discomfort while they have a milking machine attached to them. :?

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/12/091201-rabbits-milk-human-protein-drug.html

Back