• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are Rabbits really lonely on their own?

Cheeky

Young Bun
Hope this doesn't seem like a really stupid question but do rabbits really get lonely if they are kept on their own?

The reason I wonder this is because I once had a discussion with a vet who seemed to think that rabbits didn't really mind being on their own as he said that when they are in the wild and are out in fields they are more often than not separated from each other and in their own space whilst feeding.

What do you all think?

I think single indoor rabbits that have human companionship are ok.
But i'd never choose to have an outside rabbit living alone.

Hope this doesn't seem like a really stupid question but do rabbits really get lonely if they are kept on their own?

The reason I wonder this is because I once had a discussion with a vet who seemed to think that rabbits didn't really mind being on their own as he said that when they are in the wild and are out in fields they are more often than not separated from each other and in their own space whilst feeding.

What do you all think?

Once you have seen bunnies in a loving bond there is no question left to ask in my opinion.

As others have said bunnies have such fantastic bonds that they sould be kept in pairs...however there are always the exception to the rules, like my two :roll:

It depends on the rabbit, and the circumstances.....but I would say that, based on my (fairly limited) experience, the vast majority are much happier with a bunny friend.

I think my two spend over 50% of the time in actual physical contact with each other, and are rarely out of each other's sight...you can't say they wouldn't miss that if they were alone.

:shock: Hasn't that vet ever seen watership down? :lol: Just kidding, they are social animals and even wildies aren't usually far from the group. I think if they get stacks of interaction then they won't be too bored, but, nothing can substitute having another one of your own kind to live your life with. Imagine if you were kept without human interaction ? If at all possible I would provide a companion.

Our pet rabbits are not wild rabbits though are they.

The European rabbit, which is where our domestic breeds originate, do live together in large groups and form quite complex social structures.

Google it - Then tell your vet he's wrong

I bonded my Daisy a few months back with Victor after she had lost her life long friend and its totally heart warming watching their wonderful relationship.

I know for a fact Daisy is so much happier with a friend - I dont think your vet has a clue. By the way, when I took my Daisy to two different vets and discussed the possibility of bonding her with another. They both literally said the same thing as your vet. Sad as it is, they dont know everything.

I always thought Amber was happy enough on her own, and, to be honest up until she was about 10 months old and the way she was :shock: i really didn't think she'd like another bunny! The she started looking a bit lonely just before her spay so i started investigating....

The first 'victim' wasn't to her taste:roll: but she liked the second bun so Ollie was brave enough to come home with us:lol: Amber isn't a overly romantic or snuggly bun and is very independant but (most of the time) loves the company of another bun and i know i did the best thing for her.

I think nearly all bunnies love company and even if you think they are not lonley or would prefer to be on their own it's definitely worth a go. I'm glad i did:)

I think housebunnies are perfectly happy alone as they tend to sleep when we do at night & in the afternoon when we're at work.But I think all outside buns should have at least one companion to live with as they dont get much human interaction.

My bunnies sleep in the morning and afternoon but are up in the very early morning and all through the night... and after work, travelling etc I only have about 6 hours at home and i spend a lot of that cooking and studying (not simultaneously!) I think Skye and Apache prob spend more than 6 horus just snuggling and grooming each other.

So for anyone thinking of getting a single houserabbit I would think very hard about how much time you actually have spare...could work for someone less busy though :)

Theres nothing more lovely than a bonded pair of bunnies :love:

IMG_1633.jpg

i think if a rabbits human cant give that rabbit 24/7 companionship..even if its just being in the same room and not interacting then yes i think a rabbit will get very lonely..

IMO, all rabbits need rabbit companionship (unless in exceptional circumstances, eg on vet's advice)

ETA: Nursecroft, that piccy is :love:

I think that Louie is lonely sometimes. He really comes alive when the cat is in the room, running around her and just generally being happy. The cat isn't so keen though.

British rabbits live in groups in the wild :shock: I'm surprised your vet doesn't know...

I'd say that even if you can give your bunny 24 hour a day love as in a house bunny then they are still probably happier with one of their own kind to interact with. There are a few exceptions and some bunnies definately think that they are human but if you have ever seen a bonded pair together you would think that it was worth giving it a go.

I think single indoor rabbits that have human companionship are ok.
But i'd never choose to have an outside rabbit living alone.

I agree completely. My house bun is perfectly content as she gets lots of attention and loves to explore more than anything. Plus she's a bit of a brat and isn't too keen on anyone else! But having had outdoor bunnies, they don't get the same companionship and must be bored stuff.

Single indoor bunnies can be happy with lots of human contact. I have two bonded pairs and they get really stressed when their partner is not with them. Wesley is the happiest he has been now he has Merlin.

I think it depends on the rabbit. Some don't like other bunnies - but people can claim that too often, and in many cases when you see them up for adoption claiming they need to be on their own, neutering the bunny has not been tried. I still think some might be happier on their own, but that they'd be the exception, so for the most part, they're happier with company of their own kind! :) If nothing else, even if they are not a snuggly, head-over-heels in love pair, it gives them someone to 'talk' to.

In the wild they might go off on their own to feed, or have their own burrow, but they WILL interact with other members of their warren on a daily basis. They're social creatures and as such feel safer and more secure with members of their own kind about the place.

Claude was initially a single housebun, and could easily have been an assumed candidate for the "I vant to be alone" brigade, especially since he'd been a single bun for a long time, etc etc....
He had been pretty starved of otherbun companionship and was initailly pretty freaked to see another, but only when he became part of that bonded pair was it evident that he was so, so much happier.:love:
I would always at least attempt to house my buns in bonds now, regardless of the fact that they have me around... :)

my female rabbit was on her own untill i had her daughters but since they died she is loney rabbit but i am just waiting for the right rabbit to come along and my male rabbits do like the company of other rabbits except one of my males which is because he hates other rabbits so i had to seperate him from my other rabbits

Last edited:
Back