• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Brian's nose U/D Penicillin

FudgeTort

Wise Old Thumper
I think his snuffles is getting worse again,
I cant see the discharge on his face like it used to be but his paws are getting matted again :(

Back to the vets soon.....
Im hoping she can suggest something else, baytril managed it well, but it never went away.

Last edited:
Has he had a deep nasal swab done for culture and sensitivity to find out which antibiotics will treat his particular strain of bacteria?

No, none of the vets I have seen have ever suggested this,

Im going to see a hopefully decent rabbit vet on thursday so will ask then,

eta: Do they have to be under sedation or GA for this at all?

:( :( i was hoping it was gone and sorted. sending lots of vibes for effective treatment and lots of snuggles for brian. hows his little wifey bun doing x

:( :( i was hoping it was gone and sorted. sending lots of vibes for effective treatment and lots of snuggles for brian. hows his little wifey bun doing x

Hmm, well he seemed to be fine on the baytril, he would still dry sneeze but that was about it.
He is still happy in himself and eating of course!
And Mol is fine thanks, she sneezes and is a little snotty occasionally. She is the same, barely no symptoms when on the meds then as soon as you stop them it comes back..

I took on a new bun nearly a week ago who had a very bad upper respiratory infection and was mouth breathing, sneezing and had a very snotty nose. She's been put on high dose penicillin injections, oral baytril, bisolvin and metacam and is improving really well...in fact I've never seen such a sudden and dramatic improvement in a URI bun.

Perhaps you could try this for your bun?

I took on a new bun nearly a week ago who had a very bad upper respiratory infection and was mouth breathing, sneezing and had a very snotty nose. She's been put on high dose penicillin injections, oral baytril, bisolvin and metacam and is improving really well...in fact I've never seen such a sudden and dramatic improvement in a URI bun.

Perhaps you could try this for your bun?

Thank you very much,
Im writing down all the possible treatments i've read on here and taking them to the vet so will definately ask about this.
:thumb:

Hmm, well he seemed to be fine on the baytril, he would still dry sneeze but that was about it.
He is still happy in himself and eating of course!
And Mol is fine thanks, she sneezes and is a little snotty occasionally. She is the same, barely no symptoms when on the meds then as soon as you stop them it comes back..

ok glad shes ok, keep us up to date please x let me know what vet says please.

No, none of the vets I have seen have ever suggested this,

Im going to see a hopefully decent rabbit vet on thursday so will ask then,

eta: Do they have to be under sedation or GA for this at all?

Sedation or GA is generally advisable as it is difficult to get a deep enough swab to be representative in a conscious rabbit, and they are likely to find it stressful.

ok glad shes ok, keep us up to date please x let me know what vet says please.

Of course I will, I'll send you a message when I get back, Im taking him on Thursday unless he gets any worse.

I'd be extremely worried about him going under GA, but I guess if its for the best.
I'll see what the vet says. :wave: Thanks x

I feel for you. Snuffles are a nightmare. I am currently trying to find a vet that I can persuade to give something other than Baytril - It doesnt touch it & every vet I have seen with her has been of the opinion of 'Cant do anything, She'll be Ok' - She might not be dead but shes still in great discomfort, Imagine having a never-ending streaming cold!!! :censored: Please let us know if your vets do try something else, Hope Buns feeling Ok :( XX

I feel for you. Snuffles are a nightmare. I am currently trying to find a vet that I can persuade to give something other than Baytril - It doesnt touch it & every vet I have seen with her has been of the opinion of 'Cant do anything, She'll be Ok' - She might not be dead but shes still in great discomfort, Imagine having a never-ending streaming cold!!! :censored: Please let us know if your vets do try something else, Hope Buns feeling Ok :( XX

Well, if they refuse to do anything I'll be taking a trip to FHB I think, its not too far from me.
My aunt literally lives down the road from her, so jealous!

Have you ever asked for/tried septrin for your buns? Molly responded well to this.

Both Brian and Molly are now having penicillin injections every other day, just got to wait and see if I get any results.

Back