• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can someone...

Elena

Wise Old Thumper
...give me succinctly the reasons why bunnies and guineas shouldn't be put together?

Someone on another forum has just got a bunny and is getting a guinea to go with him and I'm trying to put her off the idea. I've never had guineas myself so never remember the reasons.

I've put that they can injure each other, don't eat the same things and don't understand each other. Is there anything else?

Rabbit can accidentaly harm/kill gp because of their size - by a kick maybe.

Bortadella - a form of pasturella I believe, rabbit can be a "silent" carrier and it kills gps.

GP can be bullied, sexually harassed by humping bunny!

Im pretty sure guinea pigs can carry rabbit ear mites too, not affecting piggy, but can affect rabbit, not 100% sure though.

Could copy and paste this....

Different dietary needs - guineapigs require a diet higher in vitamin C than rabbits. Rabbits require a diet higher in vitamin D than guineapigs.

Different language - Guinea pigs and rabbits communicate with each other in very different ways, they're both better off with a friend that talks the same language.

Injuries - Rabbits have very powerful backlegs and can injure a smaller guineapig friend by mistake even if the do get on most of the time.

Rabbits and guinea pigs are herding animals, so even if they dislike each other their instincts will tell them to seek company when nervous or lonely. So they are forced together. They cannot commicate their wants or needs to one another, so if the rabbit or gp is in a mood the other doesn't know and could get (fatally) hurt.

Rabbits have killed companion gps even though they have been living together for over a year.

The disease that rabbits have that can kill guinea pigs is called Bordetella bronchiseptica. Rabbits should be kept with rabbits and gps with gps.

*sigh*

She's been told by the breeder (wonderful) that they were together for a month. So she's going to try them together. I am trying to be tactful. I might suggest to her to house guinea separate and go to a rescue for a playmate for the bunny.

Hopefully things will work out for the best,
not many people would put the effort into it like you are. :)

I just wish people would listen. I took my four to the vets yesterday (we took Smudge but he didn't need his vaccine, just as moral support for Nutmeg) and he was glowing with praise for how well they are. That's all thanks to you guys and the knowledge I've learned here. :D So I want to pass that on if I can!

Back