• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

flea question

beki

Mama Doe
the cats have fleas again! honestly if i don't treat them with frontline every 5 weeks they get riddled with them, they ahve been like that since we got them. I think they ahd them as kittens and they lie dormant, not sure where though. I hoover and have short carpets and have never seen a flea off the cats!

we ran out of frontline and i actually saw one on my hand! they ahve been frontlined now.

A Question, the bunnies are inside (i kept the cats out of the bunny room for the whole night after frontlining just inc ase as i know it is harmful for bunnies), i haven't seen the bunnies scratching but can bunnies get cat fleas? i thought they would but i am sure someone told me that cat fleas don't live on bunnies? i have had a little brush at ruby with a flea comb and she has no flea dirt and her skin is fine, reggie is proving harder he is a wriggler and since living with ruby has gone all funny and doesn't want to come for cuddles any more so i haven't been able to handle him much in the last couple of weeks.

last time i forgot the regular front line ruby was due for a check up at the vets and the vet checked her and said she was flea free.

Maybe i need stronger kitty flea treatment. what do you all do to de flea your houses?

Is it frontline combo you are using? that will treat the egg and larval fleas as well as the adults. Regular frontline spot-on or spray just kills adult fleas.
I have seen nasty flea infestations in rabbits, and cats are the most likely source, although hedgehogs carry fleas too.
If your rabbits do catch fleas, remember frontline is very poisonous to them. You can use advantage (from your vet) instead.

I think if this is an ongoing problem, you may need to treat the house and the soft funishings. We had this problem when we moved in to this house, I used Indorex spray and it did the job, the only problem would be, you will have to move the animals out for a couple of hours, the instructions will tell you how long. Don't be fooled into buying stuff from the pet shop or supermarket, we did this first and it didn't work.

Hi its the spot on...will i get the combo from the vets or can i get it elsewhere? i get the spot on from manor pharmacy up the road.

Where do i get indorex from?

thanks for the help :)

Back