• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help - loss of fur

kgattrell

Alpha Buck
I was just stroking Fudge and all this fur has come from him, he now has a massive bald patch (photo dont really show it that well). I'm gonna phone the vet first thing 2mrw but it will prob be monday before they can see hiim.

Why has so much fur come out... It's not normal amount of moulting fur is it?

2l2f6s.jpg

cqqep.jpg

14vo6t4.jpg

Looks like a moult to me :) There is (or looks from the pic) short dark hair underneath which is the new fur coming through.

They can moult in patches, sometimes an area becomes so loose you can just pluck it free in your fingers.

So take deep breaths and not panic - ok -

I thought they were meant to grow their fur at this time of year not lose it.

His fur will be really short, should I groom him so he or Ellie don't get it in their mouths when grooming eah other and end up with a fur ball...

Sorry I get so worried about them but they are all that I have :oops:

Yep, no panicking :) Even if it's not a moult the worst it's likely to be is a few mites... not an emergency and easily resolved with an injection or two or ivermectin.

Are they house buns? If so then they don't moult to season as houses keep the temperature to warm. They can even moult in winter because it gets warmer after autumn cos you switch the central heating on more. Scamp moulted a few weeks back .. altho he sorta stopped half way and has a little skirt around the edge :lol:

The fur will grow really rapidly. I'm guessing there is short fur there already? On agouti buns it usually comes through looking black fur but will grow really quick. It's likely he's going to moult in stripes or patches so the patch of short will slowly move across his body as the current bit grows in and the new falls out. They often got odd lines in the fur too, Scamp gets 'go faster' stripes ;)

Yes, grooming is a good idea when it's really loose. I did tug it out will my fingers when it's like that. No yanking obviously just the bits that are so lose they fall out in your hands.

As long as they eat a nice high fibre diet (lots of hay) then the hair should just pass straight through. The wildies don't have a nice mum to come and smarten them up :)

I hardly dare post after Tamsin, who is so knowledgeable.

My bun moults like that since he came indoors. I do pluck it out very gently between my mid & index fingers, as you say, to reduce the amount eaten during grooming.

Back