• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What breed is my rabbit?

cantfink

New Kit
Hi everybody, just signed up here as some one from fancy-rats recommended it.
My g/f has a bunny and we were trying to work out what breed he is, I think hes harlequin and someone on fancy-rats said that he is most likely magpie but I was under the inpression that magpie is solid colours or is that over-loaded by the harlequin markings style!?

Anyway here is a picture of him eating a peach...

george2.jpg

Thanks

if he had solid colours I reckon he would be dutch, so I haven't fully got to grips with rabbit markings but does harlequin mean like a brocken marbelled colour as opposed to a solid colour!?

just remebered that you can only see half his face but its almost symetrical, not black one eye and he white on the other so prob not margpie right?

His colour is black magpie but he looks to have either dutch or vienna markings, did you see his parents?

Most pets I see are crossbreeds, don't worry about it

Yep he looks like magpie colouring (in effect a 2-colour harlequin) rather than magpie breed. He may well be a crossbreed, many bunnies aren't a single breed, although the white 'saddle' is a little reminiscent of a dutch so he may have some dutch genetics in him somewhere.

Your rabbit might not have any Dutch in at all, the vienna gene (which has nothing to do with the dutch rabbit breed) can often make markings on a rabbit that look like Dutch markings ...

c_VM1.jpg
<-- This is a vienna marked netherland dwarf, it has no Dutch in it.

Back