• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

side effects of long term steroids

Steroids are immunosuppressant and Rabbits are very sensitive to this. So they could potentially have a negative impact on Bun's immune system.

They can also effect the GI tract resulting in GI ulceration.

I have had Buns on steroid INJECTIONS for almost a year with no adverse side-effects. HOWEVER they were also on permanent abx too.

If there is no alternative to longterm steroid treatment (ie a NSAID) then I would want the Bun to have them administered by injection, not by mouth.

In humans they can cause weight gain,fluid retention, high blood pressure, diabetes and osteoporosis as well as immunosuppression. not sure if this is also true for rabbits!

In humans they can cause weight gain,fluid retention, high blood pressure, diabetes and osteoporosis as well as immunosuppression. not sure if this is also true for rabbits!

to add major dental probs, i assume that goes under osteoporosis, a freind hubby has been on them for a long time most of his teeth have either had to be removed all just fallen out

my new vet was very keen to get pearl off the steriods the previous vets put her on, im sure she was worried about abscesses with the lowered immune system... i didnt really take it in tho tbh :oops:

Also when she was first put on them Lou said they mask illness and she wasnt keen for me to give them to pearl either..

i have since read they can actually enlarge the heart so i hate to think how much they accellerated pearls illness even on a small dose :?

I think if the only viable alternative to the use of steroids for a Rabbit is PTS then I would opt for steroid use. The longterm s/e of drugs used on a Rabbit with a terminal illness are irrelevent really.

My Sarah had another 11 months of good quality life as a result of the use of a steroid in conjunction with abx and a diuretic to treat her terminal lung condition.

I dont think steroids should be used unless there are no other options and without them the Rabbit's quality of life would be so poor that PTS would be the only humane thing to do.

I think if the only viable alternative for a Rabbit is PTS then I would opt for steroid use as the longterm s/e of drugs used on a Rabbit with a terminal illness are irrelevent really.

My Sarah had another 11 months of good quality life as a result of the use of a steroid in conjunction with abx and a diuretic to treat her terminal lung condition.

I dont think steroids should be used unless there are no other options and without them the Rabbit's quality of life would be so poor that PTS would be the only humane thing to do.

i would grasp at them too.. masking the illness or not. they appeared to really help pearl when she was given them right at the start... and then theres little lionel.. without them where would he be..:cry::cry::cry:

i think any drug if its the last option no matter what the side effects are worth it :love::love:

i know pearl drugs are slowly affecting her other organs to keep her heart going...but without them, not worth thinking about.

How long is 'long term' in a rabbit? (For a human, I would measure it in years.)

I'm stressing about Muppet having had depomedrone (on 9 Jan; expected to last 5-days) then dexamethosone (on 14 Jan; expected to last up to a month). He's been diagnosed with cervical spondylosis and his major symptom was refusing to eat (because it hurts to swallow, we think) and metacam at 0.5ml twice a day didnt help.

The steroids have helped enormously - he eats :D, though he finds it easier in the evenings than the mornings - but I'm concerned about using them long term and even short term makes me nervous. He's obviously much better but he's not fully 'himself':
* less bouncy when he's active
* quite languid (he's not normally much of a flopper but he's done more lately and does seem to spread out more, generally)
* spends more time with me (he'd normally stay with Sooty and just pop in to see me)
* his eyes arent as bright.

I just wonder if the drugs are making him sleepy and/or nauseous. I'm very pleased that he's more or less OK though, maybe I'm asking too much.

We're off to see an vet acupuncturist on Thursday which I'm looking forward to.

Back