• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

OH allergic to hay: What do I do?

lottielouise

Wise Old Thumper
My OH has decided that he is allergic to hay. He said that he has never mentioned it before, but it has become too much for him. and he has had to say something.

He said it has become worse due to having 2 buns inside, which is fair enough. I always said that I would only bring a bun in when its ill, and that is true, but just unfortunate that I have 2 'sick' bunnies, Frankie is not doing well in the cold. This is suspected to be his first Winter, and what a hard one for him to compete with!

Cherry leaves on Sunday :cry::cry::cry:, so there will only be Frankie inside, but OH wants him to go out too. But he is inside, now ,and seems much happier.

I will move him out once the weather warms up , and live in hope that he will be fine once out there, and will be good next winter providing its not as bad as this winter.

I want to keep my bunnies happy and do my best for them, but the only way to do that is to keep OH happy. He said I could have as many rabbits as I want, but so long as he doesn't have to put up with hay :?

Help! I always thought I was compromising, but in OH eye's Im not

Am I being unreasonable? (haha, silly question I ask on here!!) Can anyone see a compromise to keep Frankie inside? Obviously the amount of hay inside will reduce with Cherry's departure, but Frankie still needs hay, which I have explained to OH, that hay is imperative, for Frankie not to have more expensive dental work. OH suggested Hay Cakes :? or not to use it as bedding, but like all rabbits, he uses it as his toilet as he eats.

I don't store hay inside, I clean out every other day and I hoover every time I see hay on the carpet. I can't see what more I can do!

Get rid of O/H:lol::lol:
Which room are the rabbits in? cant he just stay out of that area? You could try dust free hay?

Get rid of O/H:lol::lol:
Which room are the rabbits in? cant he just stay out of that area? You could try dust free hay?

Sometimes I wish!, but its his house.:roll:

They are in the box room, next to our bedroom. There is no where else that I consder safe.

Dust free hay is so expensive, some one send me their old bag!! I would have thought summer would have been when he complained, not mid winter!

Sometimes I wish!, but its his house.:roll:

They are in the box room, next to our bedroom. There is no where else that I consder safe.

Dust free hay is so expensive, some one send me their old bag!! I would have thought summer would have been when he complained, not mid winter!

You can get dust free in smallar petshop type bags quite cheap holidayhutch on here has it on her website i used to have to use it for Vinnie,If your only using it for one bunny it will last a while:)

I'm not too badly affected by hay, but get hayfever in the summer. I found that I have to treat the allergy from all angles - so tablets, eye drops and a nasal spray and it usually takes a couple of weeks use before you see an improvement.

Does he go into the room at all, and is the door kept shut?

i've recently had bronchitis and now developed what appears to be allergy related asthma too so i have inhalers and steroids.

i've always suffered with hayfever so i'm never without my trusty piriton tablets (only one that works for me). i currently have 2 buns and 4 piggies indoors spread btw kitchen and living room so with the advice on here i've ordered some dust free hay (yes, its more expensive than farm bales but it'll be worth it if i can breath). i'm also looking at the spec of ionizers now to see if one of those will help - and i have a stash of dust masks to wear when i'm cleaning them out/dishing out hay/vacuuming (when i remember to put one on).

depends how his allergy is showing itself but i'm going to do all i can to make my existence a little easier without disrupting the clan. i'm sure there's a way around it for you too - which room are you keeping frankie in?

I have hayfever, although it's not as bad as in the summer I am still allergic.

Everytime I used to do the litter tray I end up sniffling and sneezing and rubbing my eyes, it didn't even register in my head for ages.

Now I'm on my preferred allergic tablets of choice (Benadryl) and things are fine.

I have asthma (really bad:oops:) and hayfever, so I am putting it down to being selfish.

They are in a different room the the door shut at all times, to stop the cats getting in there and harrassing them.

:wave:If you want to keep Frankie in long-term, I would invest in a good air cleaner with a HEPA filter and also use a vacuum cleaner with a HEPA filter on it. Don't store hay in the house or use a sealed storage container. Dust with a damp cloth and use a cloth push broom to clean hard floors. Instead of using all hay in the litter box, only put out a handful several times a day and use something like pelleted cat litter in his pan. It's a pain. My daughter and husband both are allergic to hay:roll: It's worth it when I see how happy my bunnies are though.
Seriously, buy your OH some allergy meds. My doctor says the nasal sprays are the best but they take about two weeks to fully kick in so supplement the spray with a tablet for a couple of weeks.

My housebun only has a litter tray full of hay - don't use it indoors for bedding.

Can you cut down how much you have in the house, and just refresh it more often **and tell o/h to stop moaning**:lol:

As it's inconveniencing the poor bloke, I suggest you make him a nice dinner and invite a female friend round for a party to make it up to him.

:lol:

When we had the rats I had to keep them in a room where the door could be closed as I was very allergic to them. I also found that the more we had the more severe my allergies.

With the hay issue I can't think of many ideas except you might want to keep separate clothes or an apron for when you handle the hay so you won't be wearing clothes that could make his allergies flare up.

I wouldn't worry about changing the hay, but if possible, open the original bag outside so any dusty bits don't get to float around indoors. I keep our hay in one of those zip up shopping/laundry bags, as you can get pretty ones these days ion lots of the pound shops.

Other than that I have found medication really does help with the allergies a lot! My doctor prescribed 24 hour slow release allergy tablets and eye drops.

I try to have windows open for fresh air as much as possible (not really been possible lately with these freezing weather unfortunately) and I have found that having any colds or bugs (which unfortunately are all going round at this time of year) makes allergies a lot worse/more noticeable.

To be fair though I must admit my health has improved (less colds etc) since we no longer have any pet rats.

As it's inconveniencing the poor bloke, I suggest you make him a nice dinner and invite a female friend round for a party to make it up to him.

:lol:
Ill have to invite his other girlfriend around:lol::lol::lol: apparently he has another girlfriend, who is nice! :lol::lol:

Seriously the only hay in there is in litter trays. I am hoping Frankie can go out, back with Charlie and Belle, once it warms up in spring.

Back