• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you weigh your rabbit/s?

pigsforlife

Mama Doe
I weigh my guinea pigs every week. Mainly because being prey animals, they tend to hide their illnesses very well and so often the only way of noticing they are sick is by weight loss.

Does the same apply to rabbits? My little girl is a Netherland Dwarf so easy to weigh being small if I need to.

I weight my little ones once or twice a month :) and mine are nethies (well, Winter is a Polish x) as weight loss can be the first sign of dental problems, or EC......plus it makes sure theyre getting enough, I worry about Rimmi getting enough as Winter eats SO fast but both are fine at the moment :)

I don't do mine as a regular thing for example weigh everybun once a week, but if they are poorly or seem a bit off or underweight then i do weigh them.

I dont weight them unless I think they have lost weight or are/have been ill. It cant be a bad thing to do it regularly though:)

Bramble has only been weighed at the vets so far.......not sure how sucessful I would be at getting him the scales! :lol:

yes every two weeks and keep a record of it so if anything's wrong i can catch it as early as possible. :)

Sadly i think if I had done this with some of my other rabbits I would have noticed illness earlier and maybe I would not have lost them when I did :cry::cry: so now I'm really careful about it.

I didn't with my past buns...I do with this one. I just thought it would be a good idea to keep an eye on it as buns aren't too good at telling you when something's wrong.

I always get the vet to weigh them when they go. I weigh my dwarf lops on the bathroom scales, but its hard with the giants :? xXx

I wiegh Kasper mainly around,like a week before the show, show time and then of coruse at shows he gets weighed by judges.

What a gorgeous photo of Kasper :D

How is it best to weigh a rabbit?

I pop mine in a lasagne dish lined with a towel and a handful of pellets to keep them occupied, then just put them on the kitchen scales and read the weight quickly while they're still eating :lol:

Today was a case in point - I was convinced they'd both lost loads of weight and were utterly emaciated, weighed them, and they've actually both put a bit on. paranoid as usual :roll:

yes every two weeks and keep a record of it so if anything's wrong i can catch it as early as possible. :)

Ditto - I find it very helpful as mine live in a big group and it means I can keep a close eye on them as problems are sometimes more difficult to spot in groups and it makes sure I know whether they are all getting their fair share of food.

I just plopped her on the kitchen scales (that are no longer used for cooking). She sat there very nicely. My pigs are much the same -- they don't even care and are very patient. When I have weighed skittish animals before, I put them in a container. So for that reason it is quite helpful to make sure you have/get scales with a tare function.

When I weighed her today, she weighed 600g! :love:

My kitchen scales only go up to 3kg...so can't use that, and my bathroom scales aren't very accurate with the buns. I generally do it by feeling......and caught an illness in the early stages as a result.

If they were smaller then I'd do it every week/every other week!

Yes I weigh them about once a week at the moment. There are all in groups so tellin gif someone has stopped eating is not that easy and most of them have teeth issues.

To be honest if you have the ability to weigh them without much stress than I would at least once a month. :D

I don't, but Fidget is small, not that fluffy and very lean at the best of times so it is easy to see when she's lost weight.

I always worry that she's not fat enough and try and feed her extra but she just doesn't gain weight. She's not bony or anything, just small, so I think it's just the way she is. She eats like a horse :lol:.

i do mean to.. im just abit lazy and they get quite peed off at the whole thing.

the vets have now asked me to keep a weekly check on pearls weight so Alvin will get the pleasure too..

everytime ive weighed them i do keep a record on google calendar to compare... alvin seems stable around abouts 2.3kg-2.5kg if he ever weighs out of that weight i think i would be getting him checked at the vets, so weighing is quite a good indication of health once you get a weight thats stable to be compaired too :D

Back