• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny Exercise

Fudgey

Young Bun
Hi all,

i am currently new to rabbits united so just working out how to use the site.

I have a lionhead cross bunny who is 1 year old. he is kept as a house rabbit.

i give him as much exercise around the room as possible. at the moment he is having an hour a night, is this enough?

look forward to your replys.

Regards,

James

Hiya,

I work all day so the only time i get is in the evenings, i have to keep an eye on him because he's a noughty boy.

how much would you recomend??

Does he chew and stuff?

when I was at school, my two were kept in all day. However, when I was getting dressed in the morning they were let out for an hour. And when I get back, they were let out for the whole evening.
However, now they are out probably most of the day, as im in all the time now.

I seem to find, that when they are out after a period of time, they get so tired and just flop somewhere.

Is he living in a normal inside hutch?
Because, you may want to change that to NIC cubes, if you are away for most of the day. They let you make a bigger space for him to run about without you having to let him out. And then when you get back in the evening, he wont have so much pent up energy and wont go mad.

I posted this in the thread you have started in general chat
Hiya Do you have room to connect a puppy pen to your cage? The cage your talking about isnt really big enough for a rabbit to be in for long hours its mainly ideal for a base(cage left open) or with a puppy pen attached,A hour aday excersise isnt really enough when the rabbits cage is quite small

If he is a lone bunny he needs ALOT of human company the more the better.

Our bunny has her own room cos she is spoilt, and she comes down for her tea at 5.30pm when I get home and normally stays downstairs with us until at the latest 1am. In the morning she is let out to run up and down the stairs for about an hour, longer if hubby is still in bed.

At weekends if we are home she is a lazy moo watching tv for most of the day.

Her room is completely bunny proofed, she is very good, but we have covered all leads etc in the bedroom, and living room.

When she is out and about to distract her from things she shouldn't chew we supply her with large cardboard boxes (open each end) and lots of tunnels, her litter tray (newspaper with different hays on top) is also brought downstairs, she will happily sit in this for ages munching hay, or her other position is to be laid out flat like a draft excluder.

I would try to improve this to at least 4hrs free-range minimum as 1hr isn't really enough. Also a Nero 4 although one of the larger cages on the market is too small as its nly around 4ft and buns ideally need about 6ft.

I agree with Bluebunny that attaching a puppy pen so your bun can come and go as he pleases would be better. You could get a cheap offcut of carpet or vinyl to put underneath if you are worried about your flooring.

I find the more freedom and things to do Bobby has, the less naughty she is.... she is naughty on fridays as she used to be locked up for ages, as I wotk all day and then go to work at the pub at night... I just now let her have the hall way and landing when I am out, and she is much less naughty:D

yes i thinks thats problem with him being noughty, he needs more freedom.

how long do you let yours out for in a day?

Any bunny proofing tips?

Well bobby has an hour in the morning when I get ready, to keep her amused I give her a food ball stuffed with hay, and a few pelletss which she chases around, and keeps her from doing naughty things.:D

and then my boyf gets back about 2.30pm and she is out then till about ten.:) but I have had to cover the wires or makes sure they are out of reach. She used to bite the wall paper, which I am still working on. I have to shout NO at her and then she runs around shaking her head at me:roll: its all a game.

I am putting some clear perspex on the wall corners to stop her biting them. She also has some willow sticks to chew, when she is in a chewy mood I offer her them, and have them laying about.

I also have a nesting ball, which she sits and chews to bits.. these things keep her occupied so she doesn't "always" go for my furniture:p

yes i will up load a pixc tonight for you all to see.. where or how do i upload it?? can i upload one or a few??

You have to get a free photbucket account. There is a tutorial on the "how to use the forum" part of this website :D

Back