• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Desexing??

Ive been told a few times that female rabbits need to be desexed or their lives are considerably shortened. Is this true?
Does their behaviour change alot in females when desexed?
Ive just rang the best vets i know of and im awaiting a call back for pricing. She is too young and too frail now, but looking into it for the future.

What are the pro's and cons?

Yes, a female rabbit has a much higher chance of developing uterine cancer if she hasn't been de-sexed. I think I have read that her chances of developing it raise to 80% before she reaches two years old.

I'm sure someone much more knowledgeable than me will come along and tell you the facts straight, but you are definitely doing the right thing by trying to get her done. :wave: Good job :)

Last edited:
Thanks

My main concern is that ive had bad experiences with vets here, and the only one i do like is dogs, cats and horses pretty much, so i rang them and asked if they can desex rabbits and the lady said she will get back to me. But if they dont im going to be terrified letting any other vet touch her. Considering the mess they made do one of my past dogs i got desexed, and it was a male! I know females are more difficult.

I've read that if females are not desexed there is an 80% chance of them developing uterine cancer.

When I pick up my first little bun -- a girl -- sometime in the next 3 days, she will be booked in to be spayed for when she is old enough. My vet spays them at 4 months.

Haha no i havnt, its a long 250km or so walk to sydney from where i am.
Theyre are places in Bathurst (next town over), I just like to really interrogate whether they actually know what theyre doing or care what theyre doing, as ive noticed alot of vets stopped caring a long time ago.

How does it change the behaviour of females? Would it be better psycologically to let her mature first?

It's definitely something I'd only do if there was a rabbit savvy vet available, as you say, it's more complicated than boys.

Behaviour wise removing the hormones reduces territorial behaviour, spraying, aggression, marking and false pregnancies :)

Back