• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need help with Julie. Please ... update #41 Julie is acting like she is starving

bunnytoes

Warren Veteran
Julie came to dinner and there were what looked like bloody foot prints everywhere she went. I picked her up. She was covered even her side in it. I think it is urine. There was a high concentration of it on her tail. It was real dark rust colored and the consistency of corn syrup. It is kinda gell like and there was a gob on her tail staying there.She is drinking a lot as normal. Has anyone ever seen anything like that before? I never have seen that before with her or any rabbit. I am worried. I am going to call the Vet tomorrow but hope she will be okay tonight. She is acting normal apart from being mad that I had to bath her. I put her in a couple inches of warm water and it all came off. She is white and it didn't stain her fur. It was in her cage too in really thick droplets all over. It doesn't have much of an odor. What do you think? It is really scaring me.

Last edited:
Thank you for responding. It is the thickness of it that is worrying. I know that it can sometimes but dark but hers never as been. It is not runny like normal wee.

Not the lovely Julie !
Haven't had anything like this occur with a bun so can't make any suggestions except to keep a sample of the substance to show Julies vet & keep a close eye on her - which I'm sure you are doing anyway.
How long til you can get her to a vet? Hope she is OK til then. I guess all you can do is keep her warm, eating & drinking & take her to an emergency out of hours vet if she shows signs of deteriorating.
Hope she will be ok & you find out what is going on.

Not the lovely Julie !
Haven't had anything like this occur with a bun so can't make any suggestions except to keep a sample of the substance to show Julies vet & keep a close eye on her - which I'm sure you are doing anyway.
How long til you can get her to a vet? Hope she is OK til then. I guess all you can do is keep her warm, eating & drinking & take her to an emergency out of hours vet if she shows signs of deteriorating.
Hope she will be ok & you find out what is going on.

I wish that I would of thought to keep a sample but I cleaned it all up and threw in it the compost pile. She is acting perfectly normal. She is hopping all around and eating and drinking normally. The only out of the normal thing was this dark thick urine and the fact that it was all over her. She is a normally a very clean bunny and other than that urine on her she had a very clean bum. Her poops are normal and she did pee since then and it was normal. I will watch her all night and call the Vet tomorrow.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=212280&highlight=calcium

Someone posted this thread earlier re sludgey urine could something similar be going on with Julie?
Though I got the impression that the stuff was a more jelly-like consistency.
Anyway, hope she is ok overnight & the vet can shed some light in the morning. Keep us posted.

Thanks for the link. I did actually see that thread. It was nothing like that. Julie is really acting her crazed hungry demanding self. Not sick at all. My husband thinks that Julie just had a pee accident in her cage and the urine became mixed with something in her hay. Her hay is clean though and I fill her basket with my hands so I am not sure. She was asleep in her cage sleep eating and sleep drinking as she normally does. OH thinks she wasn't awake enough to get up and run to her litter box which she normally does. We came in for dinner and she ran at her normal hundred miles an hour to get her greens and was leaving the yucky tracks all over the floor. One thing I forgot about is yesterday she got into a bag of dried papaya. I am not sure how many she actually ate before I wrestled the bag from her. She managed to rip the bag open and was eating like mad when I got to her. The girl always acts like she is starving to death. I supose that could turn her urine dark ................doesn't explain the thickness unless it did mix with something in the hay. Don't know what though. Every time I check on her she acts crazy expecting to be feed. I admit I gave her a little extra to keep making sure she is fine. She is pooping normal and drinking. She has peed twice since and both were clear (normal). I have no idea what is going oh but she seems fine. Thank you for your concern.

dietary issue

Thanks for the link. I did actually see that thread. It was nothing like that. Julie is really acting her crazed hungry demanding self. Not sick at all. My husband thinks that Julie just had a pee accident in her cage and the urine became mixed with something in her hay. Her hay is clean though and I fill her basket with my hands so I am not sure. She was asleep in her cage sleep eating and sleep drinking as she normally does. OH thinks she wasn't awake enough to get up and run to her litter box which she normally does. We came in for dinner and she ran at her normal hundred miles an hour to get her greens and was leaving the yucky tracks all over the floor. One thing I forgot about is yesterday she got into a bag of dried papaya. I am not sure how many she actually ate before I wrestled the bag from her. She managed to rip the bag open and was eating like mad when I got to her. The girl always acts like she is starving to death. I supose that could turn her urine dark ................doesn't explain the thickness unless it did mix with something in the hay. Don't know what though. Every time I check on her she acts crazy expecting to be feed. I admit I gave her a little extra to keep making sure she is fine. She is pooping normal and drinking. She has peed twice since and both were clear (normal). I have no idea what is going oh but she seems fine. Thank you for your concern.
sounds like the vegy,s got the best of her,,but keep an eye peeled for her,,still going to the dvm??..sincerely james waller

Ah hah! The papaya stealing Julie monster! :lol:
I bet that is reason for the strange emission.
Californians are just mad about food in any form aren't they?
Its lucky Parsley is a shed bun or else we would have no kitchen left.
I've had the temerity to have her on a weight management program for about a year now. She has lost 40g gradually & actually looks good, as she had got a bit too tubby.

Have you checked all her claws.
Blood loss from a pulled-off claw can be profuse.

But if the loss is actually from her bum or 'lady bits' she needs to be seen by a Vet ASAP

Is Julie spayed ?

Thank you everyone who responded. I checked on her all night long and she was happy, active and demanding as normal. Her poops are and have been normal and she is peeing normal now. I am still concerned and planned on taking her in to the Vet this morning but was told to wait and keep an eye on to see if it happens again. This time I need to collect some of it. Her bum is very clean and she is her normal self.

Jane, she is spayed. She had sore hocks but they have healed. She did loose a toe nail and a while back. That time there was only a little blood and I removed what she caught it on. I will go check all her nails now. Will keep everyone updated.

Thank you everyone who responded. I checked on her all night long and she was happy, active and demanding as normal. Her poops are and have been normal and she is peeing normal now. I am still concerned and planned on taking her in to the Vet this morning but was told to wait and keep an eye on to see if it happens again. This time I need to collect some of it. Her bum is very clean and she is her normal self.

Jane, she is spayed. She had sore hocks but they have healed. She did loose a toe nail and a while back. That time there was only a little blood and I removed what she caught it on. I will go check all her nails now. Will keep everyone updated.

I would have a VERY close look at her hocks. My Lydia's can bleed SO MUCH from her chronic sore hocks but once the bleeding has stopped the actual bleed point looks almost 'normal'.

I would have a VERY close look at her hocks. My Lydia's can bleed SO MUCH from her chronic sore hocks but once the bleeding has stopped the actual bleed point looks almost 'normal'.

Wow, that is scary. The stuff was on her back feet and not her front. My initial thoughts were blood and later pee. Later I thought pee but there wasn't a puddle. I told the vet it was urine. Oh I wish that I save some. The actually sore hocks looks healed not open now. Now I am confused. It is pink though and bald. What do you do for Lydia's sore hocks? I was told to put New Skin on them and baby socks when she hops on the carpet.

Wow, that is scary. The stuff was on her back feet and not her front. My initial thoughts were blood and later pee. Later I thought pee but there wasn't a puddle. I told the vet it was urine. Oh I wish that I save some. The actually sore hocks looks healed not open now. Now I am confused. It is pink though and bald. What do you do for Lydia's sore hocks? I was told to put New Skin on them and baby socks when she hops on the carpet.

Have a read through these

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=184616&highlight=lydia+hocks

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=193638&highlight=lydia+hocks

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=192595&highlight=lydia+hocks&page=5

Thanks Jane for the info. That is amazing about Lady Lydia's hocks. She is beautiful by the way. Julie's don't look anything like that. She has a much smaller area in just in the middle of both feet. The carpet causes them to open up and bleed. Of course she loves to binky on the carpet best of all. Her fur isn't growing back. I never heard of the Savlon Advanced Gel or that foam dressing. I Googled it and the only places I found to buy it was in the UK. I am going to the pharmacist right now and see if they can order it for me. The socks are okay and she doesn't mind wearing them but she binkies wild and they fly off.

Hi Julies mum.
Re the dressings & gel that Jane suggests - its likely that there will be an equivalent in the US & you won't have to order some specially from the UK.
If you copy down the specifications/ingredients & ask your pharmacist they will undoubtedly be able to find an equivalent.
Good luck :)

Hi Julies mum.
Re the dressings & gel that Jane suggests - its likely that there will be an equivalent in the US & you won't have to order some specially from the UK.
If you copy down the specifications/ingredients & ask your pharmacist they will undoubtedly be able to find an equivalent.
Good luck :)

Thanks, the pharmacist said that we couldn't get the gel in the US. I just gave him the name. That is a good idea about the list of ingredients. I did ask what the equivalent wound be and he said he didn't know of anything. I have an idea though. The women who owns the rescue that I buy all Julie's hay and supplies from is originally from the UK. I am going there tomorrow I will ask her if she knows if I can buy anything like that or the dressing here.

Back