• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

i don't think my rabbit is happy living with me

Giant

New Kit
Hello. I've posted a few times before, mainly medical queries, but I've started reading lots of the posts on this site and realised that I can talk about anything to do with bunnies.
I have three rabbits: one couple and one single. I think the single one hates me. He is a male rabbit who we got from the RSPcA near bath and is 1 year old. He is an outside rabbit with lots of space and toys
But if we go up to him he bites us, or sprays us with his urine. He doesn't seem to be happy around people. I have tried so hard and read so many tips on here about it. I have been out for hours in the garden
(And in his run) getting down to his level, feeding him treats, not expecting anything substantial. But he still bites me. I don't know what happened to him before he came here, but it must have been something bad.
I just don't kniw what to do anymore, it's like a stranger living at the bottom of the garden, it's like trying to communicate with a wild rabbit.. It's the last thing he wants. He's so angry all the time. He has been neutered.

What do you think? What can I do now?

That does sound quite unusual behaviour for a neutered male. Particularly the spraying. Did you have him neutered or was he neutered when you got him? I'd start with a vet check and confirm the neutering and that he hasn't got retained testicles instead and they presumed neutered.

I know it's an off chance but best to rule out all the physical possibilities first. The vet can also check for any other health reason that could be behind his behaviour eg a bladder infection could cause discomfort and make him crabby not not show any obvious symptoms.

I agree with Tamsin:D, he could also want a friend of the rabbit kind. I have a few rabbits that just don't like human contact but are very happy with other rabbit company.

If bun was from RSPCA he will be neutered - its their policy.

I would think of a friend for him?

Sometimes if you have a rabbit who doesn't like humans and your pair them with a rabbit who is more friendly they will pick up behaviours off each other and you will find he becomes more friendly, or at least more tolerant of you.

I would probably get him a vet check as well, just to make sure he is healthy and the neutering was successful.

Thank you for your help, those are definitely things I could try.

I know he is definitely neutered because his testicles look like neutered ones that I have looked up on the internet.

I have a big feeling that it was the way he was treated at his previous home, but I have dedicated so much time, trying to rehabilitate him that I'm worried he has gone beyond
Having a good relationship with a person.

I could be happy just having him living in a nice set up at the bottom of the garden with a partner and less interaction with him than I'd expect,
But I'm worried that I'm giving up on a perfectly good rabbit... Even though I try so hard. There are only so many bites I can sustain before I want to
Leave him alone.

having had a biting bunny myself, and owned her from eight weeks, i am wary of attributing biting to a harsh life in a former home.

the bun might be stong willed and scared, combined. i think this is why my tabitha was so aggressive.

she's two and a half now and seems to be over it!

good luck with your bun. :)

Like I said to you before, I think you should speak to a local rescue in your area to see if he'd be happier there.

Last edited:
Back