• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonded buns and GA?

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
Grim's going for his first GA dental since being bonded with Samus. It won't be until February hopefully but I was just wondering about a few things.

My original plan was for her to go along with him and they are pretty much stuck together at the moment :)love:). However I've been thinking about how dominant buns can sometimes attack a poorly counterpart. I know Grims would love Smoo to be there for him when he wakes up for snuggles and licks, but she's so headstrong, what if she attacks him? He'll smell different... or am I just overly panicking?

Homer went in for his dental under GA on Tuesday. In the evening when we brought Katy in she just jumped straight in the bed and started to lick him. They then snuggled up together.

Although this went well we were still cautious as on one occasion (after they were first bonded) she did go on the attack when Homer had been to the vets. We just separated them and went through a quick bonding process the following day.

I know some people do take both of their rabbits.

ETA - one of the reasons we don't take Katy or put her back with Homer straight away is she is quite an "active" bunny and jumps all over him.

Travis has regular dentals, my bridge bunny Treacle always used to go with him everywhere they went.

When he was in for GA, they'd stay in the same pen at the vets, Tre used to thump at the nurses when they'd come to get Trav :lol: Then the instant he was brought back, she'd huddle over him and groom him until he came around. :love:

Thanks for the advice guys. I hate him going in as it is. :(
But at least now he has his lovely lady to give him cuddles.

Ruby went with Pipkin last time he had a dental and I think she's a bit more dominant (although they're fairly equal). She seemed to know he was poorly and looked after him well, though. When I got them back the fur on Pipkin's head was sticking up all over the place from where she'd been licking him :lol:
I think it definitely helped having her there. He seemed really normal and alert when he came home, while when he'd had a dental before I got Ruby he was a little quiet afterwards.

The only time i'll send my buns to the vets togeather is if they actually both need to be there.
My buns have went back togeather fine when one has been at the vets :)

G + P both go, even if it's just Ginger being done. They're in together all morning, and are only seperated after the the dental, when they go in seperate cages until they've come round a bit.

They are litter mates though, and their bond is unbreakable, so it might be different.

Last edited:
I never send partners unless it is a single sex bond and then not always. Can't see the point of stressing out 2 buns instead of one, plus my vets will normally seperate them until the sick one starts eating just so they can monitor them. And once they start eating they can come home anyway :)

Mine always go together :) Most people's experience is that the healthy bun looks after the unwell one and the poorly one recovers much more quickly in the company of their friend. While it's true that sometimes a healthy bun can attack an unwell one, I think the risk of this is much higher if they have been separated for the day, as the poorly one will smell different when they come back from the vets. If they've been there together, the smell will be familiar to the other bun too, so much less likely to attack :)

Mine always go together :) Most people's experience is that the healthy bun looks after the unwell one and the poorly one recovers much more quickly in the company of their friend.

Exactly. If you were in hospital you'd want a friend by your side for company and reassurence, wouldn't you?

I'm going to ring the vets and ask them if they will keep them together. If they have to split them up to monitor Grim then there's no point, but I'll have a word and see.

Back