• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

advice with possible bunnys please.

kelly1

Warren Scout
i was wondering if someone can give me some advice.i am getting another conti sunday,he is 13 weeks old and for the past 3 or 4 weeks have had another bunny the same age living with him in the cage,both the buns are uneutered.What i want to know is if i take them both do you think they will stay friendly untill they are old enough to be neutered.I really dont want to take the buns friend away but on the other hand,i havent got the space to keep him if they stopped getting on and i have to seperate them.

Last edited:
It's always a possibility that they may fight and I believe you should always have options if you need to separate them. But that's just my opinion, if you get them neutered as soon as possible you might be fine, and they're always happier together.

The other possibility is... are you 100% certain they've been sexed properly? Could one of them be pregnant?

I did this. I had 2 conti males who were fine until they were 19 weeks old, then they fought and Reggie tried to castrate Ronnie :cry: I would think really hard. I didnt, and had to rehome Reggie because i didnt have anywhere to house him away from Ronnie :(

Do Conti's have to be older before neutering?

Our 3 boys lived very happily right up until a few days before they were due to be neutered. If I had got them done at the earliest time there would have been no problem but we waited just a bit too long, mainly because of the christmas break and everywhere was closed.

They are fine again now and it wasnt really fighting, just chasing and humping, it felt worse because 2 were picking on one.

thank you everyone for your help,it is much appreciated,i never get many replies when i have asked for help so its very much appreciated.how old do they have to be before neutering or is it just whenever they show signs they are ready?

I have 2 giant bunnies who are brothers ,they have always been together and I had them neutered as soon as they had plums ( they were 14 wks) and they were fine.

I have a male conti and a conti/french lop both living together they were neutered as soon as their testicles dropped and live in a kennel next to two mixed sex groups and they get on fine. It really depends on the rabbits at the end of the day. Are they going to be house buns or outside buns?

My conti's were neutered around 5 months - no different to any other breed really, just as soon as their plums drop!

As Jenova said you should always be prepared for the worst case (i.e need to separate)

I'm not over keen on boy:boy bondings, but if they're brothers and are neutered asap, then there's no reason why it shouldn't work.

Are they coming from a rescue? Maybe you could ask them if they'd be prepared to rehome one of them for you if the bond does break down?

they arent brothers but have a bond already as they have been living together in a cage for the past 4 weeks,i really dont want to split them as they have a bond,but if it all goes pete tong i dont have a spare cage to house one of them,they arent from a rescue so i could ask one of them to help.they are 13 wekks now so i could maybe neuter quite soon.

You'd probably be looking to neuter around 20 weeks "ish"

Are they going to be indoor buns, as a 4ft dog crate on ebay is only around the £40 mark?

they are going to be outdoor buns,ive had indoor buns before and they completely wrecked my bedroom so i wouldnt do that again,they are outdoors where they are now.

they have a 6 foot cage at present but at the end of the month when i get paid they are having a chicken coop,they will be free range in the garden all day and will just be put away at night.

What size coop?
A shed would give them much more room than a standard bought coop, and if they did fall out you would be able to temporarily separate them in the shed until you could sort out an alternative.
My giants have a 10 x 8 shed with a permanent enclosure, and that is the minimum I'd recommend for a pair.

I wouldn't give them free range in the garden all day though, unless you're there all day too, as they are as prone to fox attack as any bun.

i live in the centre of town and although a fox isnt impossible its hightly unlikely,i havent got the space to have a shed put up for them,and with them being free range all day they are only put away at night.

well ive decided not to get the buns,i couldnt get just 1 as they have a bond at the moment,but couldnt take the 2 of them as if it went wrong when they got older i wouldnt have anywhere to keep the other bun.im off tomorro to pick up another conti giant thou.

Back