• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Myxo?

Ive read alot of people talking about vacc against myxo, which is odd, ive never heard it here. We have it, to keep the wild rabbits down as theyre introduced, but i didnt think myxo was anywhere else in the world.
I dont think we have a vacc against it, i will have to ask now.

I notice you are in Australia, Its against the law where you are to vacc against it... which is very sad as its an awful disease :cry:

Ok, thats a bit extreme, but then again wild rabbits are a HUGE problem here and I imagine some people would rescue and release them and proabably vaccinate them if it were availiable.
Ive never had a rabbit get it or really known anyone who has, so it must be in certain areas?

Wasnt Myxo developed to control rabbits in Aus? Did the 'disease' hitchhike to other countries?

The disease was discovered somewhere and then spread all around the world by farmers, a lot of the time they did this illegally.

The myximatosis vaccine only provides immunity for 6months - 1 year, so there is virtually no risk of it escaping into the wild. Immunity does not spread between rabbits.

There are just too many rabbits in the wild for anyone to ever attempt to vaccinate them, it would be pointless too as most rabbits live less than 1 year.

The reason the vaccine is banned is politics, not science.

myxomatosis.alias myxi

Ive read alot of people talking about vacc against myxo, which is odd, ive never heard it here. We have it, to keep the wild rabbits down as theyre introduced, but i didnt think myxo was anywhere else in the world.
I dont think we have a vacc against it, i will have to ask now.

i will direct you to wikapedia/using your search engine-be it google or what ever..when you get to wikapedia type in myxomatosis,,you live in an infected country,it is obsolutely imperative you understand this disease and the implications of having a rabbit..i live in the u.s.a..who knows what has been unleashed here,,they will never say..sincerely james waller:cry::cry::cry:

myxomatosis.alias myxi

The disease was discovered somewhere and then spread all around the world by farmers, a lot of the time they did this illegally.

The myximatosis vaccine only provides immunity for 6months - 1 year, so there is virtually no risk of it escaping into the wild. Immunity does not spread between rabbits.

There are just too many rabbits in the wild for anyone to ever attempt to vaccinate them, it would be pointless too as most rabbits live less than 1 year.

The reason the vaccine is banned is politics, not science.

this dreaded disease is used by governments to control large populations of lagamorphs,,using your search engine you can utilize wikapedia to learn more about it..sincerely james waller:cry:

Haha thanks.
I know its spread my mozzies, and people think im odd but i deliberately leave containers of water kicking around my backyard for the mozzies to grow in, as that way i know the water theyre growing in is clean. Ive never had any issues with mozzies, so i think my plan works.

Martyn (my slightly obsessed with Australia boyfriend - our fave band are the living end!) told me t's coz rabbits are a foreign species and the australians are really funny about stuiff like thaty. That's why the simpsons took the mick out of it with the frog.
But we have stupid nature laws in britain too. Like if we catch a grey squirrel, legally we have to kill it because they are a foreign species :(

Haha thanks.
I know its spread my mozzies, and people think im odd but i deliberately leave containers of water kicking around my backyard for the mozzies to grow in, as that way i know the water theyre growing in is clean. Ive never had any issues with mozzies, so i think my plan works.

I dont "think" they can become carriers of Myxi from dirty water I believe its when they drink the blood of an infected rabbit and then go on to a healthy rabbit causing it to too become infected. Someone correct me if im wrong :?.

Hahaha, the way the simpsons and just about everything on tv portrays Australia is completely wrong. Kind of like how they portray Britain to be all posh and drinking ye tea with super horrid teeth and big noses..
We dont all talk like steve irwin or carry giant knives like croc dundee.
Mind you we do sound retarded to ourselves when there is a Aussie TV show on, with our accents, we are so used to American TV.

And there is always going to be a risk i guess, but flyscreen is near impossible to have dont perfect so that nothing can get in and not have the bun chewing it. So what can u do.

Back