• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

might be evicted over bunnies....HOUSE!!!!!!

VikkiVet

Mama Doe
Oh :censored: its all gone wrong.

My girls are happily housebuns now with their own room. I thought the landlord was ok with this, and i was planning on having fosters too.

Now he rings (after coming over to fix hot water system) to say he didnt give permission for them to be inside and they have to go :cry::cry::cry:

I told him they cant go back outside in the winter, he was reasonably understanding, but just thinks that its wrong to have them inside, except if they are always in a cage :evil:.

He's thinking it over but i think he's going to say that they have to go elsewhere :cry::cry::cry:

What do i do? Weather wont improve for ages so probably cant go out until May??? I cant afford to board them, dont think anyone i know can take them for that long. I cant bear the thought i might have to move out and all the associated hassle!

REALLY hoping and praying he will compromise and let them stay until spring

Last edited:
Is there some way you can win him round, kind of compromise?

I'm thinking if he thinks they should be in a cage a really big NIC grid pen might be acceptable to both your bunnies and your landlord.

is it because of possible damage ... if so could you offer extra bond just in case ...this is what my daughter did as she has a dog and at first landlord said no pets .. she paid extra bond and he was fine.:)

He has to tell you if he is coming to visit the house, so I wouldn't worry too much. I would tell him you are going to put them in a cage inside and then don't. At the end of the day, there is a lot of rental property out there and I, as a landlord, would sooner have one who I know who is okay - so he is unlikely to tell you to go. How likely is he to want to find another tenant??

im sure once hes thought about it.. itll make more sense to let you stay put as a decent tenant rather than risking the cost of getting you evicted and then having an empty house in a recession. tell him youll get them a cage and do as suggested build them a nice large enclosure for when he visits.

try not to worry.. getting rid of you is bad business and hes not stupid or he wouldnt be a landlord.

ill keep my fingers crossed for you xxx

He might compromise if i take up the carpet and put something else down (Indi eats lino if she can get to the edges...:roll:) and keep them only in their bedroom.

I already said i would pay for damages and offered an extra bond and an extra clause in the contract.

If i made a pen it would be in the same room anyway - its only a small single so wouldnt be that different anyway.

He gave us a letter - says they have to be gone by Saturday and he's coming to inspect then. but i rang him so now he's thinking about it.

Its a joint student rental - not sure how it works if i move out, if the others have to find a replacement and cover the rent or not. It would be hard to find a replacement at this time of year except perhaps a late-start MSc student.

I cant face moving, its just too hard

On no :cry::cry: I really hope he agrees for you too keep them, how about getting a puppy pen to attach to a dog crate? I would have them here for you if you were absolutely desperate. Big hugs. Im sure it will all work out fine hun xXx

I would pen them in when he comes round and put some old carpet under the pen (does that make sense, on top of your current carpet). That way, they're not damaging anything.

Hope things work out OK.

FC x

Did he let you know he was going round?! They have to give at least 24 hours notice.

We have an extra clause in our contract to say that we will pay for any damages.

Maybe crate them when he comes to inspect?
My friend at uni had about 7-8 lizards in various tanks in his house, along with a couple of Snakes and a rat....whenever his landlord said he was coming he would drop them all off at various peoples houses. I used to get his corn snake, a beardie and the rat.

Did he let you know he was going round?! They have to give at least 24 hours notice.

We have an extra clause in our contract to say that we will pay for any damages.

No, i not quite sure how he found out - the electrician came back in Nov when the lights blew and he told the landlord this week. i think the landlord must have come over himself when the plumber came and saw it, so he was allowed to be there to fix the hot water, but not for an official inspection.

Unfortunately when he saw it Phoenix was at the start of her current 'digging the litter tray out onto the carpet' phase (anyone know why or how to stop her please let me know!) so it looked really messy. But i clean it up every night and did say that the droppings are easily swept up, and said SEVERAL TIMES that i would replace the carpet regardless

I would pen them in when he comes round and put some old carpet under the pen (does that make sense, on top of your current carpet). That way, they're not damaging anything.

Hope things work out OK.

FC x

thats how mine are housed when i cant be there to stop destruction :thumb:

No, i not quite sure how he found out - the electrician came back in Nov when the lights blew and he told the landlord this week. i think the landlord must have come over himself when the plumber came and saw it, so he was allowed to be there to fix the hot water, but not for an official inspection.

Unfortunately when he saw it Phoenix was at the start of her current 'digging the litter tray out onto the carpet' phase (anyone know why or how to stop her please let me know!) so it looked really messy. But i clean it up every night and did say that the droppings are easily swept up, and said SEVERAL TIMES that i would replace the carpet regardless

He is still not allowed to turn up without you knowing, I promise you!!! Check your contract but I think you should kick up a fuss about this - maybe get some advice?

He is still not allowed to turn up without you knowing, I promise you!!! Check your contract but I think you should kick up a fuss about this - maybe get some advice?

i reported my landlord for letting herself into the house while pretending she had left me a message to say she was coming.. she knew full well i would be at work and she didnt expect a naked scot to come down the stairs and have a row with her..

my letting agents sent her a letter telling her it was unacceptable and it would be kept on record.. tbh after that i didnt stay for more than the 6 months tenancy agreement..

this house has been a dream. deffo better to rent from a company than an individual, i dont even have a landlord ive ever met.. just the agents and they give me loads of advance notice of a visit

i reported my landlord for letting herself into the house while pretending she had left me a message to say she was coming.. she knew full well i would be at work and she didnt expect a naked scot to come down the stairs and have a row with her..

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

my letting agents sent her a letter telling her it was unacceptable and it would be kept on record.. tbh after that i didnt stay for more than the 6 months tenancy agreement..

this house has been a dream. deffo better to rent from a company than an individual, i dont even have a landlord ive ever met.. just the agents and they give me loads of advance notice of a visit

We do have an agent, though i'm not sure what he does :? We call him Tim nice but Dim coz he's really vague and just says yes to everything! We pay rent to the agent company but all the repairs and problems go direct to the landlord. We do everything by text and i've never actually met him - always been out when he's been before so he's met other housemates.

I dont want to kick up a fuss incase it makes it worse? hoping me being really apologetic and polite will sway him towards my side?!

its too late for the carpet - they already pee'd on it and ate the corners :roll: but i was going to replace that anyway. I've got 2 and a half more years at vet school and want to stay in this house as its lovely.

can you get them either a large dog crete or a puppy pen to put them in when he is there? TBH most leases say no pets so he's within his rights but you just have to keep him sweet until march when it should be ok to put them out.

I second this, We usually get a weeks notice at least in writing, or a call to say what time people are coming for whatever reason.

While I was at uni though my landlord was a nightmare, but we had not choice really, as he owned most of the student housing in bangor.

Back