• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Female or male..

brutalbaby

Warren Scout
Hi there im new here...

i was just wondering how to sex a rabbit when they wont let you flip them over to look at their parts?

I found my rabbit back in October roaming alone in a alley bless... since then i havent found out the sex, he/she does:-

Run around your feet making grunting noises, ive heard onl males do this,
he/she has quite a big bit of skin under the chin, but not as big as the female ones i have seen.
i havent seen any testicles lol
when he/she lays down sometimes she will raise her back end, ive heard only females do this?
and my rabbit has nipples... ive heard males one dont :S

can some one let me know, who has experiencing of sexing rabbits with out having to actualy look?

thank you

Oh and also my Rabbit is a lion head, he/she seems to have lost the mane around the face since october... will it grow bacck and is it just a winter thing?

It sounds female to me. If you're sure the rabbit has nipples... males don't as far as I know. Also females don't have to have big dewlaps.. my Ruby doesn't have one at all.
You could take it to a vet for sexing though. It sounds like the rabbit isn't neutered so you could sort all that out at the same time :)

Last edited:
Hi and welcome, :wave:
I'd say female too. My bun is a spayed female and she runs around my feet grunting too. Its so sweet! :love:

you think she is a girl then?

she does look like a girl to me i donno i think its her temperament. But if she is a boy or girl i still love her all the same. i have been calling her 'she' lol. but when i researched about the nipples most people said males dont have nipples. ill post some pics to see if people can tell by the pics ;)

Hi and welcome:wave:

I would take your bunny to the vets to have sex checked and at the same time have it myxi vaccinated so it has some protection for the coming months:D If it's a male they will be able to tell you if it's already been neutered, it's harder to tell if they are female:D Your vet will also check it's teeth and claws, then depending on it's sex you might want to find a friend for he/she:D

2cnvce9.jpg

n67rmf.jpg

2hf5atl.jpg

34t1stk.jpg

t87xps.jpg

14uesyb.jpg

how old is your bunny, can you see any testicles near the genital area?

some male bunnies can and do have nipples, not many but some do, my old mowgli did :oops: and i remember not long after i got him thinking omg, ive got a hayley off coronation street :lol: but he was deffo male even though he had nipples, which with age shrink :oops: :lol:

The manes are seasonal, like moulting. It ought to be in full bloom right now, mine looks like a wild thing! If 'she' is not used to being a housebun it might disappear a bit while she gets herself temperate. She's so pwetty!

Thanks guys for all your help.

I dont know how old she is coz i found her in October. i dont think she is very old though becuase when i found her she was quite small, even though she was thin due to lack of food she has filled out more but still not very big and shes very playful... does any one know how to tell the age of bunnies?

I think she may be a girl lol.

I cant see any testicles, and i think the age of her would show them now lol

The manes are seasonal, like moulting. It ought to be in full bloom right now, mine looks like a wild thing! If 'she' is not used to being a housebun it might disappear a bit while she gets herself temperate. She's so pwetty!

I didnt know if she was a house or outdoor bunny as like i said i found her, she had a main when i found her and now its really short but the rest of her body furr has grown. maybe she was an outdoor bunny we keep her in doors espec coz of the snow outside atm... so when she gets use to being inside will it grow back? she has a lovely mae i want to see how fluffy she can get hehe :D

At a guess I'd say male... but I'm only guessing.
He/she is gorgeous though. Have you got a name yet? :D

yeh ive called her/him Bunny lol i know its not very interesting but every time i called it , the name stuck and she responses to it now as well :)

she is a very cute bunny ^_^

thats if she is a she haha so u say a boy? im still confused haha

Your bunny is gorgeous.:love::love::love::love:
I can only suggest that you take her to the vets to be sexed. You need to get her vaccinated against myxomatosis and VHD, two deadly diseases. Additionally, if she is a female, she will have to be spayed to prevent uterine cancer, which is very common in unspayed females.:wave:

You could take your bunny along to the vets and they will sex bunny for you :) I dont know if youve heard of the vaccinations rabbits need? You could do this while you were at the vets to save a trip :) xXx

thanks guys for this helpful information :)
i found her in october and she seems really healthy ive heard abt all the diseases and infections, but like i said ive found nothing wrong with her at the moment she is very play ful and energetic... does this mean i still need to get her vaccinated?

and is that really true about gettin her spayed? having cancer if i dont? :shock:

thanks guys for this helpful information :)
i found her in october and she seems really healthy ive heard abt all the diseases and infections, but like i said ive found nothing wrong with her at the moment she is very play ful and energetic... does this mean i still need to get her vaccinated?

and is that really true about gettin her spayed? having cancer if i dont? :shock:

Yes, you need to get her vaccinated every six months against myxomatosis and every year against VHD. Have a look here: http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/vacination28.8.07.pdf
As far as neutering is concerned, 80% of unspayed rabbits develop uterine cancer. Have a look here: http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/neutering28.8.07.pdf

thank you very much... see as i found my bunny i dont know if she has been spayed already and what vaccines she may of had, i guess i should of had her checked already like when i first got her.

i didnt know about all these different things coz shes my first rabbit. are they better off in pairs? or are they ok to live on her own? she will never be unhappy or bored, im always playing and holding her. but im just wondering :)

If you take her to vets and explain, they may be able to check if she has been neutered.
Bunnies need company. Unless you're prepared to spend lots of time with her, it will be best to get her spayed and paired up with a neutered male. :)

Back