• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New Fosterer: Advice Please

VikkiVet

Mama Doe
Hey :wave:
I am about to take in my first foster bunnies - Maddox and Melody for Liz (Hugo's There). They are Newt's brother and sister, but appear to be normal except for not growing much!

They are very young, very lively bunnies and will be living indoors with free-range time in my bedroom and alternating with my girls in the hall/lounge.

As these are my first foster buns (SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEE!) i would love some advice and tips from experienced fosterers.

Thanks

My advice is don't get too attached, but in this case you are more than welcome to become very attached ;) :lol:

yep don't get really attached but still love them, just always be prepared for them going away and just the usual rabbit care.best of luck it's so much fun.

Gah! You lot are no help! i must NOT get attached!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

(if i'm on here in a few months time looking for someone to bond them i am blaming you all!!)

The main thing is definately not to get attached, i failed a few times at the start but i am much stronger now! Try to prepare yourself as much as possible for the day they leave, i have cried buckets over some of mine that have gone, and there is also the extra heartache if they get ill or anything.

Saying all of that though i wouldn't change it for the world, nothing feels better than when they go to a great home and you get little updates and pics and they all look so so happy :love: :love: :love:

It's so difficult to not get attached, especially when you have them from babies.

All of my own rabbits were adult when I got them so I missed the baby phase:(.

It is very rewarding though to see them go to a new home, and even better Lou does the bonding at the rescue so I get to see them with their new partners too:love:

I failed as a fosterer with my first buns, which is how I came by Roger.
I found it very hard to give Jacinta and Mr Blue back recently, but Mr Blue was bonded with a week of him going back and went out to his new home with a lovely wifey bun, and Jacinta has a husbun now too.

I haven't allowed myself to fall for the last 4 babies, even little Rowan who just melts your heart, mainly because I just don't have room to do any new big set ups, and keeping any more means I can't foster.

The only thing I'd say with babies is, because we feed them two lots of pellets a day until they're 6 months, there is so much more poop!!!

Melody and maddox are now coming up to 5 months old, but to look at them they only look about 10 weeks :? The plan was to have Maddox neutered and for them to be looking for a new home by now, but there is absolutely no sign of any boy bits yet. We are not sure what the long term future is for them now, its just a case of waiting to see how they develop and then deciding if they are Ok to go up for rehoming or whether they need to have a permanent place with us. So we thought the best thing for them for now was a knowledgable foster home for them :)

Melody and maddox are now coming up to 5 months old, but to look at them they only look about 10 weeks :? The plan was to have Maddox neutered and for them to be looking for a new home by now, but there is absolutely no sign of any boy bits yet. We are not sure what the long term future is for them now, its just a case of waiting to see how they develop and then deciding if they are Ok to go up for rehoming or whether they need to have a permanent place with us. So we thought the best thing for them for now was a knowledgable foster home for them :)

:shock::shock: no pressure then!! :lol::lol:

I am definately mentally considering them like ridiculously ubercute patients - that i am taking care of them until they are big/well enough to be neutered. So they can either go to a new home or back to Liz's at the end of their 'treatment'.

I dont think i could do the homecheck for a new home though, i'd be sooooooo fussy about it! :lol::lol::lol:

Im a foster mummy :wave: :D
Im on to my 2nd foster, my first foster Bramble I bonded, sent him on his way without tears then got upset the next day because I realized I wouldnt get to see his little face anymore:(
I fear the same may apply to the Miss Attitude bunny ive got atm, because I know deep down shes a right little cutie :D:lol:
My advice? be strong, hold on and enjoy the ride! :p:D

:shock::shock: no pressure then!! :lol::lol:

I am definately mentally considering them like ridiculously ubercute patients - that i am taking care of them until they are big/well enough to be neutered. So they can either go to a new home or back to Liz's at the end of their 'treatment'.

I dont think i could do the homecheck for a new home though, i'd be sooooooo fussy about it! :lol::lol::lol:

If I didn't trust you 101% I wouldn't be sending them, so I know you will do a fab job. Your most important job will be "daily plum check" :lol:

I don't think I will find doing a homecheck easy either, why do you think I am not a rescue :lol: At least I have rehomed Marnie now so thats a start. Don't think Sam realises how many pm's I sent to people before I made my decision though :oops:

Yep, its hard not to get attached, especially when/if they are poorly.

If you find out how to not get attached, let me know :lol: I always tell myself im doing a good thing, and that when the bunny gets rehomed i can take in another bun in need, but that doesnt always work :lol::oops: Hence George and Scamp :oops:

Look foward to lots of pics :D :D xXx

No advice sorry! Bungle was only meant to be staying for a short time while he had a all this fur unmatted and was neutered. He is now laid infront of my fire thinking he owns the place! I couldnt give him up!

If I didn't trust you 101% I wouldn't be sending them, so I know you will do a fab job. Your most important job will be "daily plum check" :lol:

I don't think I will find doing a homecheck easy either, why do you think I am not a rescue :lol: At least I have rehomed Marnie now so thats a start. Don't think Sam realises how many pm's I sent to people before I made my decision though :oops:

Well, I know Lara got a few :lol: and probably Kris as well. Maybe Hetty too?
I have nothing to hide......

I was horrific at homechecking too, I went fully prepared to decline on some ridiculess thing and then the house and setup for Bea was AMAZING. I had seen photos and stuff of it but it really was fab.

ETA; On the foster side....have a mean heartless OH who is COMPLETELY inflexible (He isn't really...I promise) Even though he loved her just as much as me he said there was no way she was staying....so she couldn't. It was a good thing really, we both knew that one of us HAD to be 'hard' about it.....and I'm the biggest softie going....If I had my way I'd have a house full of giant buns in a massive bonded group (in my dreams!)

Last edited:
Well, I know Lara got a few :lol: and probably Kris as well. Maybe Hetty too?
I have nothing to hide......

I was horrific at homechecking too, I went fully prepared to decline on some ridiculess thing and then the house and setup for Bea was AMAZING. I had seen photos and stuff of it but it really was fab.

I wasn't that bad. Didn't contact Kris or Hetty about it. I got two good references plus grilled you about set ups etc :lol:

Back