• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nursing a bunny when you work

biscuitblossom

Warren Veteran
I was thinking this morning while making my toast :roll:.....Jasmine is being syringe fed every 3 hours at the moment,if I worked full time I don't know how I'd manage to do it .

I'm lucky that my place of work is literally 5 mins walk away and my hours are early morning and evening so I can fit in the bunny care when I need to.

How do those of you who work full time juggle it?

I dont have a clue what i would do, I work full time and I wouldnt be able to do it every 3 hous, unless I took time off work and practically I wouldnt be able to do that as i guess it could go on for months :?

scary thought

When Milo got poorly on a bank hol monday I was off work to nurse him but he still needed care the next day, a day which I had to work as ratios wouldnt allow me a day off. I only live 5 mins away which meant I could come home on my dinner meaning he was left for 4 hours seen to and left for 4 hours again. He was fine after that thank goodness.

Last edited:
I dont know how i would manage if Inca or Herbie needed any more care than they do just now......I have to bathe Inca's woman bits and giver her meds every morning and evening. So its fine just now as i do it before i leave for work and as soon as i get home.
When Kermit first got head tilt i had to take three days off work, then i had to get my Grandpa to go up every day and take care of him.....i honestly dont know what i would have done without my Grandpa at the time!
Now i dont have Kermit or my Grandpa here with me......i hope they are together x

I dont know how i would manage if Inca or Herbie needed any more care than they do just now......I have to bathe Inca's woman bits and giver her meds every morning and evening. So its fine just now as i do it before i leave for work and as soon as i get home.
When Kermit first got head tilt i had to take three days off work, then i had to get my Grandpa to go up every day and take care of him.....i honestly dont know what i would have done without my Grandpa at the time!
Now i dont have Kermit or my Grandpa here with me......i hope they are together x

:cry: :cry: Im sure they are taking great care of each other :).

i wouldnt be able to do anything in the day.

last time Alvin was really bad i had him admitted daily to the vets to be looked after because i just cant get stuff into him and i was off work too :oops:

That made me cry :( I hope theyre together too.x

I'm lucky that I only live a 10 minute drive from work, so I tend to do a feed before work, go home at lunchtime, one straight after work, then another before bed.

My work said I could take in the babies I was handrearing last year so I didn't need to go home, but it's not really a good idea to keep shifting them around.

I work full time so if I had a bunny needing syringe feeding every 3hours I would have to pay my vets to admit them. The earliest I can be home (if we have no meetings etc) is 4pm and I leave home at 7.30am.

I'm only about 15 minutes away with the job I do 2 days a week (full days) so nip home at lunch time anyway but I'm about 30 mins away for my 4 hours a day, 3 days a week job. If I had a rabbit that needed nursing the longest I'd need to be away is 5 hours but that's not guaranteed as if something urgent comes in I'd have to stay back :? Generally if a bun needs nursing though my vets keep them in until they are eating on their own again - with them being so good I'd rather the buns be there than at home on their own :love:

Actually, the 4 hours job, they would let me do it in two halves with a break if I wanted to as it's extremely flexible but I'd be doing an extra hour travelling to do the nursing - well worth it though if I ever needed to.

As I only have 2 and hopefully it wouldn't be a regular occurence,I would either pull a sicky or my hubby would work from home & look after them.Fingers crossed,this is something ive not got to worry about at the moment.I hope Jasmine is doing ok Davina & fingers crossed for Friday.

I take my animals to work with me!:lol: People are shocked by that.

I can't not work tho as we have too many bills. I have taken birds, hedgehogs, bunnies, foxes, guinea pigs and squirrels to work with me.:lol:

In fact I can never really remember asking permission - I just did it. It makes my work very entertaining. I suppose it depends where you work tho. I suppose not all work colleagues would like a bunny at work and I have often thought that others might try and bring in their kids when they see me arriving with arm fulls of animals (my surrogate children) which is often the case in Spring. My partner also helps and has to take animals into hotels with him - Mortimer the crow spent several nights in the hotel boiler room and then quite a few days in his office which all his colleagues seemed to love. When I feed my animals it is no different to others taking a fag break in my opinion.

There should be a national Take Your Animals to Work Day!!:lol::lol: I think it would brighten most peoples days.

Admittedly I have never taken any of the ponies but I have thought about riding to work!

I think it depends where you work- last year I could just pop home this year I commute an hour... would probably ask to work flexibly and just go in for the bits I had to (client visits and stuff) and do the rest from home or use lieu time up.

Sometimes I get my Mum in (poor mum) or if bun can travel get them to her... thats my approach when I really can't change work.

Or if its short term take a day or few off. The buns are my children after all :)

Right at the start of my bunny keeping i had Lionel admitted to the vets for a week to look after him.

Since then i have taken variosu days off to look after poorly buns and i have also taken them to my mums (who lives 10 mins from me) as she doesn't work so has looked after them all day.

I take my animals to work with me!:lol: People are shocked by that.

I can't not work tho as we have too many bills. I have taken birds, hedgehogs, bunnies, foxes, guinea pigs and squirrels to work with me.:lol:

In fact I can never really remember asking permission - I just did it. It makes my work very entertaining. I suppose it depends where you work tho. I suppose not all work colleagues would like a bunny at work and I have often thought that others might try and bring in their kids when they see me arriving with arm fulls of animals (my surrogate children) which is often the case in Spring. My partner also helps and has to take animals into hotels with him - Mortimer the crow spent several nights in the hotel boiler room and then quite a few days in his office which all his colleagues seemed to love. When I feed my animals it is no different to others taking a fag break in my opinion.

There should be a national Take Your Animals to Work Day!!:lol::lol: I think it would brighten most peoples days.

Admittedly I have never taken any of the ponies but I have thought about riding to work!

:D Wow, thats amazing, I just imagine taking my bunnies into the office and then after reading some more, taking them in to find all kinds of other animals there.

What do you do for your job?

I have wondered in the past what I would do if either of my two were properly ill and needed me home... and now I kind of know!

I needed to be home all day all last week - not just to ensure Muppet ate or feed him but also to monitor him whilst we tried to work out what was wrong. Fortunately with the weather being so bad, many of my colleagues couldnt get in anyway PLUS then the office heating packed up so those who were in got sent home anyway. Phew! Also fortunately lots of the work I needed to do last week could be done at home: I actually got loads done in between stressing :shocked:

This week Muppet's much improved (hurrah :D) but I need to check how long the drugs last, so I've told work that I'll be in late and leaving early (so I can monitor morning and evening). And that I'll need time off for vets appts (like tomorrow).

I am very very lucky that my work are pretty accommodating - they know I'll do as much as I can but also if I have to choose I'll choose Muppet. Even so I dont think I could take significant amounts of time out of the office for more than a few weeks.

I'd be more than happy to take Muppet to work, that'd be fab, but I think he'd find it too stressful especially if he were really ill. And I'd have to take Sooty too so it would be a bit chaotic to organise them both.

Frankie had to be admitted to be nursed as I couldn't be at home, I'm glad he did now as he needed injections. I think I would just have to book off some flexi time if I needed to do it again. Luckily on his last bit of illness it was over the weekend and I ended up with shorter days because of all the snow the following week. I was thinking of getting another pair but this situation has kind of worried me a bit and made me think what I would do while at work. :? I think I might have to train my mum and dad up. They've been a great help with Frankie while I was at work giving him extra titbits and checking up on him.

Last edited:
I was thinking about this a while ago and made a thread on it, forgotten what the title was now. It affects vet appointments too because depending on the vets opening hours to may need to take time off work to attend them.

I am lucky in that my job is quite flexible and if I had to I'd just take some annual leave. In my last job I had friends and family nearby who I could trust to pop in and do things as necessary. :)

I'd just have to take time off.
Or at the moment, J is working about 10 mins from home (for the rest of his shore draft) and unless he is teaching I guess he would be able to sort them out.
Work are fairly good about vet appointments and stuff....although I never really gave them much choice :oops: My manager is great though, he knows that the buns are my babies :love:

Back