• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit food Question

bunny foo foo

Alpha Buck
Hi, I was wondering for future reference if you feed your buns a bowl in the morning and a bowl at night or if you just leave food there the whole day? :wave:

You are not supposed to leave a whole bowl of food for them all day (if by 'food' you mean pellets).
Rabbits should have 24/7 access to unlimited hay and water and only a small quantity of pellets (I give them some in the morning and some at night) and some vegetables.:wave:

ETA Please find some information on rabbit feeding below:
http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/Feeding130807.pdf
http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/going_green_oct_06.pdf

Last edited:
my pair just get a handful of pellets at bedtime and then just to check alvin is still eating i give a few pellets at different times during the day..

veg lasts my pair between 20-30 mins...

never any food left sitting about just unlimited hay :D

Mine get hay all day, pellets in the morning, huge bowl of veg at 8pm and then huge bowl of veg when I/they go to bed about 1am.

That might sound like a lot of veg but my bunnies are big, I give it to them in two lots as Lavender tends to eat some then sit down for a while, and Darwin carries on. This way it ensures she gerts s good amount of food.

:wave: I hand feed Gizmo his herbs and spring green leaf in the morning and put out fresh hay, change water and about 2 egg cups worth of pellets then I do the same in the evening with veg and hay. They might get a red grape or a small piece of other fruit or a fenugreek cruchie or other treat like dandelion or plaintain etc during the day aswell. With Ness who is a bit bigger, its the same although I don't need to hand feed her veggies, she has the same amount of pellets and maybe a few more in the evening, she does a lot of running around. Quite often come evening they still have pellets so I know they are not greedy about them. Poop patrol always indicates they are fine as they are nice and golden and firm. :lol:

Thank you for your responses! :wave:
I might be getting a new bun soon, and I didn't know much when I had Milly, so for this bun I want to be more educated. :)

Same here, I feed unlimited hay; a small handful of readigrass on a morning, veg for tea (early evening) and a handful of pellets for supper @ bedtime :)

Mine which are mostly Belgian Hares and Standard Rexs get unlimited Medow hay from the stables, Occasional veg (never more that 2 leaves of cabbage each as it can cause tummy upsets), now we er in the winter thier getting bread rolls to (1 each) and i feed Rabbit Royale with 1/8 of dodson & horrell plus pellets (this they only get 1 phelidilia pot each so i cant spell it properly i tend to eat it not look at the box :lol:)
Mine at the moment a in fab health and i dont seem to be having the problems i had earlier in the year.:)
(touches wood very quickly)

mine have unlimited hay all day available and grass available all day (mine prefer grass and have a tray of it for when they arent in the garden) and they also have 1 shot glass of pellets science select in morning for breakfast anda shot galss each of bunny brunch (rabbit mix) in the evening the reason i feed two sorts of food is 1.variety and 2 to ensure if my local shops run out of one i can always get hold of the other, coco has dental issues and provided he eats lots of hay and grass this doesnt seem to have any affect on his teeth in fact they have been better since doing the combination food (though that may be jsut luck) i think it helps he isnt fussy and eats every last scrap of everything you give him i would not ever reccomend a mix for a rabbit who picks. plus they are lower in fibre but i try to strike a balance, i also give mine a handful of fruit/veg in the evening this keeps them distracted overnight while they are in their hutches and also adds variety and extra vitamins to their food. note veggies/fruit can be anything from garden plants such as nasturshuims, apple tree leaves, hazelnut leaves to spring greens from shops carrot pieces or apple ( i feed them other things too but i was trying to point out that during the summer you often dont have to buy greens as you can get things from your garden if you have one. x

Hi:wave:

Tibbs and Echo get unlimited hay, a tablespoon of pellets each (Burgess Excel) and some veg for breakfast, then the same at dinner time, with fresh water. And they get their hay topped up whenever it looks like it's getting low, plus a big top up before I go to bed.
And if im having a bit of fruit in the evening, then they might get a teeny peice of it, but only if they are good buns!! :lol::lol:

Back