• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Conservatory?

hellsdarkrose

Warren Veteran
Are conservatories ok places to keep buns or would the extremes of temperature in summer/winter be too much for them?

I was thinking this the other day! I know I have read of people keeping buns in conservatories but surely in the summer its far too warm for them?

bloke at work lets his bunnies stay in his conservatory during the winter to keep them out of the frost.. its almost as cold as outside but its sheltered.

i dont think hed risk them in there of a summer though because of all the glass would make it into an oven/green house

his bunnies do well sleeping in the conservatory and playing in the run during the day :D

I was thinking this the other day! I know I have read of people keeping buns in conservatories but surely in the summer its far too warm for them?

It's something I have wondered since we moved into the house as our conservatory is as big as the living room and other than bun supplies and our dining table (which is hardly used) it's empty. But the temparature thing worries me.

:wave: I think it really depends what it's like inside how much sun it gets etc You can get blinds fitted to the roof and also anti-glare glass, etc I am thinking of having one or a garden room and will make sure all the necessary precautions are taken in terms of heating in the winter and cooling in the summer. If it's got a secure door leading to the house the windows can be left open too (high up) with 'window' guards, fret work to prevent intruders of the 4 legged kind or 2 legged kind. In all honesty for me I would prefer the buns to be in their shed with run and hutch attached via cat flap, in the summer but, brought in during the winter, which works well for them and us.:D

Last edited:
It's something I have wondered since we moved into the house as our conservatory is as big as the living room and other than bun supplies and our dining table (which is hardly used) it's empty. But the temparature thing worries me.

Ours is the same. It's south facing, so far too hot in the summer - and we usually have the doors open during the day, and all of the windows open permenantly - so there's a fox risk.

At the moment, it's far too cold, but would be OK for outdoor buns with a winter coat to use as shelter from this awful weather. I don't know what it'll be like in the spring, but it does seem to be one extreme or the other temperature wise.

Oscar lives in our conservatory, but ours is an extension of the backroom i.e there is no dividing door, it is all open,so ours is the same temp as the rest of the house.

You can get blinds fitted to the roof and also anti-glare glass, etc

Even with all these things [and the doors and windows open!], my mother's conservatory is too hot. Muppet chose to stay in the dining room during the day (he had access to both) when we stayed with her.

Two of mine are in the conservatory for the winter but go out when it gets warmer as it's too hot in summer

But it depends where the conservatory is. Ours is North-East facing and gets very little sunshine. It also opens directly into the kitchen (there's no dividing wall) so it's pretty much the same temperature as the rest of the house. It's where I'll be keeping my guinea pigs.

I guess it just a matter of common sense. Monitor the temperature at lots of points during the day and decide whether it is a suitable place for them to live.

Ours too opens straight from the kitchen with no dividing wall so if it gets too hot Louie can go into the kitchen bit.

Our bunnies are in the conservatory atm which is north/norht-west facing and lower than our garden so gets very little direct sunlight. We only brought them in so that they would be a bit more sheltered for the winter, but we've really loved having them in the house :)

Our conservatory feels really hot in the summer (although no where near as hot as the one in our last house which was south facing!!). But actually when you go outside its not any hotter, its just that there's no breeze.

I'm fairly sure my OH will make me put them back in their hutch once the weather gets warmer though, but I feel bad putting them back in there when they've had a massive room all to themselves. Plus its just nice to have time to go and say hello to them while I'm waiting for the kettle to boil :)

Our 8 buns are in the conservatory, and yes it's freezing in winter and hot in summer but I have no other room big enough for them all :(

We have blinds on the roof and the windows, in winter they have loads of hay and boxes to snuggle into but most are lying out and although top fur feels cold, the underneath is toasty warm. They cope better with the cold than the heat but in summer they have frozen bottles, chilled ceramic tiles and their own portable air con unit! We're roasting in the rest of the house but at least they are nice and cool :lol:

Back