• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The quail.

halfpenny

Wise Old Thumper
Baby spice,
267.jpg

Sporty spice,
268.jpg

Homer,
271.jpg

Princess,
270.jpg

Chestnut,
269.jpg

Scary spice,
080-1.jpg

they are lovely pictures, are quails difficult to look after me and my brother are looking into getting quails but dont know anyone who has them to ask how easy or difficult they are.

Scary is doing really well she can stand and move to her food and water and she has started chirruping in the morning- not sure why,but I think it is a good sign. She will stay in the house now, because she is still very wobbly, but seems OK with that, she has the TV on and the bluebirds are next to her so she can see and hear them.

they are lovely pictures, are quails difficult to look after me and my brother are looking into getting quails but dont know anyone who has them to ask how easy or difficult they are.

Quails are not difficult as long as you do your research. If you want to keep more than one,its best to have about 3 females to 1 male. I would only keep a group with 1 male in it, some people keep more but they can be very aggressive and badly hurt each other. I would never add new quails to an established group, it can be done but is very tricky and they can scalp each other. You can keep them in a hutch ( japanese anyway, which are what these are) and a run, but they must be very secure, rats can easily kill quail, so you need something underneath to stop them burrowing in.
Quail can get very tame but are naturally quite flighty, so you need to be aware if they get a fright they will fly straight up and can kill themselves if the roof is too low.
They live usually to about 2 years, but we have one who lived til he was 6.
We feed ours a 50/50 mix of chick crumbs and canary food and add dried mealworm.
I love the quail, they are amazing little birds and get very tame.
If you want to find out any more just ask.:D

Last edited:
thanks for the information, I shall talk to my brother and we shall do some more research. thanks again

What lovely birdies. I've never really seen quails either, just in books. I love their eggs though, they look beautiful. I used to get quail eggs from a little organic shop which were lovely.

I'm glad that Scary Spice is doing better.:D
Will you be able to re-integrate her in the group, or are you expecting trouble?

I'm glad that Scary Spice is doing better.:D
Will you be able to re-integrate her in the group, or are you expecting trouble?

No, I think she is too frail to be re-introduced. I don't think she will have that much longer anyway, but we will keep her comfortable and entertained until the time comes.

Your quail are lovely. We have 4 - Mr & Mrs White and Mr & Mrs Brown :)

I was just wondering what you give yours for treats? Ours love a bit of cucumber but I'm not sure what else they can have?

Your quail are lovely. We have 4 - Mr & Mrs White and Mr & Mrs Brown :)

I was just wondering what you give yours for treats? Ours love a bit of cucumber but I'm not sure what else they can have?

Mine love millet and dried mealworms, they can also have spinach, lettuce and chickweed, they also love a sand bath.:lol:

Don't give advocado, it is poisonious.

Ours love their sandbath, especially the boys - the white quail that we have always look like they have been topping up their tan after a good "wash" in the sand bath :lol:

Lets have some piccies then, I really like quail, they are fantastic little characters.

Back