• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would a rescue rehome to this...

Snowberry

Wise Old Thumper
Its not for a few months yet but just thinking ahead to if Strawbs goes outside and we get him a friend.

We made this as a run for him last summer and wondered if a rescue would rehome to it? Its fine if not as we can get a 6ft hutch and use this as a separate run.

The hutch is only 4ft with an attached 4ft run. We added a 7ft extension to the front of the run. We would also board up the part under the hutch so they have more wind/weather proof space.

Its not quite finished here;
IMG00072-20090815-1512-1.jpg

IMG00285-20090920-1537.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not sure, but since there is only 4ft of sheltered hutch space (minus the bit taken up by the ramp, then they might not think the hutch part was big enough. However, with a seperate 6ft hutch, it would make a brilliant run!

ETA: could you convert the shed in the photo?

:wave:

we would need hutch to be minimum of 6ft x 2ft x 2ft (would poss pass 5ft for small buns )and run mesh would have to be replaced with weld mesh if buns have 24 hr access...also if on grass and buns are to have 24 hr access bottom of run would need to be meshed to prevent digging out ;)

I would have thought no :? It would make a fab run if you could have a seperate 6ft hutch... or even if you could somehow attach a bigger hutch to it?

I'm not a rescue but, I'd be happy if they could have permanent access to the run, so I'd put mesh under the grass or something so they can't dig out and replace the chicken wire with weldmesh...I think the hutch itself would be too small if they had to stay in it all night

I'm not sure, but since there is only 4ft of sheltered hutch space (minus the bit taken up by the ramp, then they might not think the hutch part was big enough. However, with a seperate 6ft hutch, it would make a brilliant run!

Yeh I agree there isnt much hutch space, Strawberry wouldnt use it if it was there! lol

It would be perfect if it was 6ft but we only built it as a run onto an old 4ft hutch I was given.

If we got a new hutch then they would be in it all day and night and would only be able to use the run when im in so they would have less space.

I'm not a rescue but, I'd be happy if they could have permanent access to the run, so I'd put mesh under the grass or something so they can't dig out...I think the hutch itself would be too small if they had to stay in it all night

They would definately always have access to the run! It cant be closed off anyways. I would also find a way to make it secure, would probably put it on decking or paving.

:wave:

we would need hutch to be minimum of 6ft x 2ft x 2ft (would poss pass 5ft for small buns )and run mesh would have to be replaced with weld mesh if buns have 24 hr access...also if on grass and buns are to have 24 hr access bottom of run would need to be meshed to prevent digging out ;)

Agreed :thumb:

No, its not ours. We live in rented housing at the minute. These are all plans for if we move house in the next few months.

The mesh would be replaced if they were going to live in there, it was done cheaply as at the minute they only use it supervised since our garden isnt behind our house so I cant leave them up there in it.

Would a 6ft by 2ft hutch for overnight and while we are working then put in the run when we are home be better?

As the run is 4ft wide, I was wondering if an attached 4ft by 3ft hutch would be acceptable as it has the same floor space as a 6 by 2 ft? I have a few this size and actually prefer them for the smaller buns. Happy hutch made one of mine for £95 :wave:

As the run is 4ft wide, I was wondering if an attached 4ft by 3ft hutch would be acceptable as it has the same floor space as a 6 by 2 ft? I have a few this size and actually prefer them for the smaller buns. Happy hutch made one of mine for £95 :wave:

It already has a 4ft hutch attached at one end, do you mean putting another at the other end?

If the cat flap has a magnetic strip on, then take it off, otherwise it is sometimes too hard to open. Alternatively, you could peg the cat flap open like this:

001.jpg

A shed is a good idea, I would go for that :D. The mesh on your run would still need changing though.

Yep of course. It was only done with chicken wire as we had some lying around and it was built for supervised use during the day for my house bunnies.

Agree with changing the mesh and meshing the base if they are left unattended in it..remember a fox can dig in very quickly
Also agree with shed idea..best option!:D

Back