• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hermaphrodite rabbits

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
I know hermaphrodite rabbits do exist but don';t have any experience of them myself.

I don't know if the bunny in question is a true hermaphrodite or whether there has just been some kind of mix up :?

But I was wondering if it is a real hermaphrodite, once it has the relevant neutering ops, would it be able to be bonded to another male?

I don't have any personal experience, but I don't see why Bunny shouldn't be tried with another male, as with all bunnies it might work, might not :wave:

Is Bunny coming to you?

I don't have any personal experience, but I don't see why Bunny shouldn't be tried with another male, as with all bunnies it might work, might not :wave:

Is Bunny coming to you?

Not sure, I have been asked about possibly taking "her" :)

I imagine like in humans one of the sexes would be more developed than the other, which would indicate which hormone they would have more of and therefore which sex they would behave like...
So if the male parts are more developed it might be a bit harder to bond to a male rabbit.
I don't know though...
How interesting!

I remember Cheryl SGP had one a few years ago, the vet could only find one testicle so opened him up and found a womb wrapped around the bladder which couldn't be removed due to its positioning :shock: Sadly I don't recall if the bun bonded ok (knowing Cheryl it probably did!) and the thread would have been on the old version of the forum so I can't find it :(

I guess whether the bun will bond largely depends on whether it's possible to remove everything and, if it's not, whether sufficient male or female hormonal urge remains to prevent a happy pairing.

Sounds like a question for Jeremy Kyle! :lol::lol:

Let us know the outcome - I've never heard of hermaphrodite rabbits before :shock:

Thank you, I knew someone on here had one once :wave:

It is thought she is more female than male, but she is having an op shortly so that will probably tell us more. I don't have very much info about her medically, but I have seen a picture and she is very pretty and looks girly :lol:

Thank you, I knew someone on here had one once :wave:

It is thought she is more female than male, but she is having an op shortly so that will probably tell us more. I don't have very much info about her medically, but I have seen a picture and she is very pretty and looks girly :lol:

Will have to have a unisex name like Elliot or Charlie :lol:

I told Steve about "her" last night and he said well we have had a Super Timmy now we can have Super Tranny :roll::lol:

Even if it turns out to just be a mix up with the sex issue we are still happy to take her as she has had an awful life with lots of homes and is blind in one eye from an injury :( She is a very pretty 6 year old bunny :love:

You'll have to post a pic of her. Fascinating though and not something I ever thought about...would have thought male is your best option. The male ought to sense the presence of female hormone. :?

interesting - we've been discussing hermaphroditism at uni this week (part of reproduction module, we're not that weird!)

Is "she" externally male or female? Most commonly, animals have female external genitalia, and then either a rudimentary reproductive tract internally with very small organs and no or very small gonads which cannot be distinguished as ovaries or testes, OR they are pseudohermaphrodite where they have some sort of uterus (may be small, odd shape, etc) but testes of a suitable size to the uterus, in the normal location of ovaries.

The first type usually dont ever reach puberty and so dont display sexual behaviour and characterstics of either sex. they still need neutering though as the abnormal tissues can still cause issues, especially cancers. The second type can develop sexual characteristics of either or both sexes! or neither. The 'testes' do produce hormones, so you may get male behaviours from testosterone, but they may also produce female hormones instead/as well so might be nesty, stroppy madam types. Obviously these also need neutering and the risk of hormone-related issues are higher in these animals.

In terms of bonding, i think it slightly depends on which type of hermaphrodite they are, but in theory if the hormones settle down adequately then you may have equal chance with either sex. But if they've been displaying characteristics of one sex more than the other, then probably an opposite sex bonding is more likley to work, simply because the learnt behaviours will correspond better.

interesting - we've been discussing hermaphroditism at uni this week (part of reproduction module, we're not that weird!)

Is "she" externally male or female? Most commonly, animals have female external genitalia, and then either a rudimentary reproductive tract internally with very small organs and no or very small gonads which cannot be distinguished as ovaries or testes, OR they are pseudohermaphrodite where they have some sort of uterus (may be small, odd shape, etc) but testes of a suitable size to the uterus, in the normal location of ovaries.

The first type usually dont ever reach puberty and so dont display sexual behaviour and characterstics of either sex. they still need neutering though as the abnormal tissues can still cause issues, especially cancers. The second type can develop sexual characteristics of either or both sexes! or neither. The 'testes' do produce hormones, so you may get male behaviours from testosterone, but they may also produce female hormones instead/as well so might be nesty, stroppy madam types. Obviously these also need neutering and the risk of hormone-related issues are higher in these animals.

In terms of bonding, i think it slightly depends on which type of hermaphrodite they are, but in theory if the hormones settle down adequately then you may have equal chance with either sex. But if they've been displaying characteristics of one sex more than the other, then probably an opposite sex bonding is more likley to work, simply because the learnt behaviours will correspond better.

Thanks Vikki :wave:

I have very little info at the moment. Only that she is 6 years old and in that time no vet has been able to pin down her sex, but she is thought to be more femlae than male :? It may be possible there is a simple explaination for it all, Just like Marnie's abscess turned out to be a dewlap :roll::lol:

When we took on Sage no-one could decide what she was. She had deformed anus and tail bones and my vet thought she could feel a 'rod' of an undeveloped penile structure as well as see a very deformed vulva. She had much reconstruction surgery on the anus and tail (all very successful) and was eventually spayed with a uterus being found. We bonded her with a male. Sadly she died of a retro-orbital abscess after a couple of very happy years with us, the abscess may have had a worst impact than normal because of her many problems (she also had malocclusion and had had her incisors out before we had her).

PM Becki_Moorcroft she has a hermaphrodite rabbit :)
which i now actually own lol oreo was found in the woods by a Becky a few days later oreo had a litter which were still born
oreo then came to live with me and by them oreo had grown testicles !!!
a few mths later felicity was dumped on my door step another lovely dutch doe after much thought we decided it would ok to put her with oreo as he/she was a girl first and had had given birth so there was no chance he/she would also father a litter as 99% of haemaphrodites are infertile
well got a shock of my life last week hiding under all the shavings when i was cleaning out look what we have now oh and both mum and dad are feeding them :roll:
took these photos the other day while we were cleaning out, washing bunny dishes before feeding up yes that is oreo hinting it was time for their dishes to be washed and filled since they have made them all dirty by weeing in them and filling them with shavings :roll: they are naughty :lol:
oreo is the black dutch
dutch024.jpg

dutch025.jpg

dutch026.jpg

dutch027.jpg

dutch028.jpg

dutch029.jpg

never mind taking pics and giving snuggles just get those dishes washed and filled woman !!
dutch030.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Vikki :wave:

I have very little info at the moment. Only that she is 6 years old and in that time no vet has been able to pin down her sex, but she is thought to be more femlae than male :? It may be possible there is a simple explaination for it all, Just like Marnie's abscess turned out to be a dewlap :roll::lol:

Same as she was a 'boy' She's so dainty I don't know how anyone could have thought it!!
It is very interesting with the Hermaphrodite bun.....Would there be any other health implications do you think? Lots of piccies if s/he comes to you :wave:

Back