• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How soon after spay - eating?

scatter

Alpha Buck
My female bun, Poppy, was spayed yesterday morning. Vet said she came round quite well and was quite bright. She was kept in (with her mate Charlie) overnight and when I picked her up this morning and they said they syringed her yesterday, but she had eaten a little herself overnight. Since I brought her home at lunchtime she hadn't eaten anything - so I started syringing her late afternoon. She is very quiet (which I would expect) and I think she just had a little bit of hay. She also has done some poops. How soon have other people's buns started eating after spaying? Thanks.

Hiya - yes I would expect a bun to be eating reasonably well by now after a spay. If I were you I would be back on the phone to the vet asking about more painkiller, gut stimulant and possibly fluids (the guts dry out very quickly which can make it harder to get it all going again).

In the meantime I would keep her warm and keep offering tempting foods and a bowl of water and hopefully she will start munching very soon. If she has done some poos then that's a sign that it hasn't totally stopped which is good, but it can get serious quite quickly if they don't start eating, so it does sound as if she may need a little more medication to help get her up and running again.

Good luck xx

Hello, my bunny (also called Poppy), was spayed in August and it took a good few days for her to be back to normal. At first she wasn't really eating at all without being enticed and would only take little bits every now and then from my hand, perhaps if you try offering a few of her favourite things this would work. I read that they like herbs when poorly and this was true for my bunny. I hope your Poppy is ok and she picks up soon, I know how stressful it can be.

Thanks both. I was worried and syringe fed her up until midnight last night, then woke up at about 5.00am and she had pooped loads and eaten all her pellets and was eating hay. I was very relieved and am hoping she keeps it up!

Bella took a few days to get into a good eating habit, initially I mashed banana and chopped up apple in with pellets soaked in a little water, that way she also got some fluid...and mushed (a bit like cat dog food) on a saucer and she eaten that, then I added hay and gradually made the mix coarser and drier

Back