• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should I worry about her health as she is a cross breed?

Shellypops

Wise Old Thumper
:shock: Just looking around on the net and have noticed that a lot of websites say that crossbreeds generally don't live as long as pure breeds. :(

This has upset me a bit as Bobby is a french lop crossed with an "Uppy eared" bun...

Does anyone know if there are things that I should look out for?:?

She is very well cared for and only 6 months old, but I just can't help but worry a bit:cry:

I really wouldnt worry about what breed she is... Just enjoy her as Bobby :D Alot of people on here have rabbits of heinz variety breed ;)

I'd say, if anything, they're morel likely to live longer, as they won't have all the inherited problems that pure-breed's do. It all depends on her parents. If they were the same-ish shape and were healthy themselves I wouldn't worry about it. :)

I think many people would say the opposite - lots of pure breeds have inherent health problems that crosses may miss out on :)

cross breeds are probably more likely to live longer due to hybrid vigour, however everything is down to the individual bunnies genetics, their environment and plain good or bad luck at the end. Genetics help a bit but unless they have a serious genetic condition making sure they have the right diet, environment and appropriate vet trips as well as knowing what warning signs to look out for is likely to have much more impact.

There are lots of opinions around about this sort of thing, but I personally think that on the whole cross breeds tend to be hardier - lots of people will have examples for and against though! I would look out for the normal health issues for a rabbit, not focus too much on whether your bun is a pure or cross breed.

The only think to add to that is that certain breeds can suffer more than most with certain ailments - rexs are prone to sore hocks for example.

Pure breds are more likely to have inbreeding issues as they come from a more limited gene pool. Some breeds are more prone to specific health issues eg enlarged heart that can shorten their lives.

Of course cross breeds can still be inbred and sometimes the fact that lots of cross breeds end up in a pet shop can be an indication of a careless breeder just experimenting and trying to create their own special breed, which could mean they are ignoring health issues. It is of course possible that by cross breeding two breeds that have specific health problems you could end up with a cross breed that has both of these problems eg an enlarged heart and sore hocks. That depends on whether the specific genes are dominant or recessive. In most cases defective genes tend to be recessive though.

I really wouldn't worry about it, both pure breds and cross breeds can have lots of problems. If the breeder hasn't use inbreeding then I would say a cross breed is likely to have a larger gene pool and less likely to have major health problems.

Pure breds are more likely to have inbreeding issues as they come from a more limited gene pool. Some breeds are more prone to specific health issues eg enlarged heart that can shorten their lives.

Of course cross breeds can still be inbred and sometimes the fact that lots of cross breeds end up in a pet shop can be an indication of a careless breeder just experimenting and trying to create their own special breed, which could mean they are ignoring health issues. It is of course possible that by cross breeding two breeds that have specific health problems you could end up with a cross breed that has both of these problems eg an enlarged heart and sore hocks. That depends on whether the specific genes are dominant or recessive. In most cases defective genes tend to be recessive though.

I really wouldn't worry about it, both pure breds and cross breeds can have lots of problems. If the breeder hasn't use inbreeding then I would say a cross breed is likely to have a larger gene pool and less likely to have major health problems.
:love:

Pearl is a satin and i assume shes pure/inbred

she wont live to her 3rd birthday thanks to an enlarged heart.

i think as long as i live ill never adopt any purebred animals again :cry::cry:

Hi there, :wave:
I agree with Stator.
I also feel that you should enjoy your bun, enjoy getting to know his personality, enjoy looking for signs that he is trying to tell you what he wants, & try to respond to encourage him to communicate with you.

This achieves 2 things.
a) You'll be amazed by their intelligence & desire to form a relationship as they grow up.
b) You'll find that they are quite routine animals & immediately notice the slightest behavioural changes which are early indicators that all is not well.

Please put your mind at rest & enjoy. :D

Pearl is a satin and i assume shes pure/inbred

she wont live to her 3rd birthday thanks to an enlarged heart.

i think as long as i live ill never adopt any purebred animals again :cry::cry:
Have been following Pearls story, and my heart goes out to you, she looks such a lovley rabbit:love:

Hi there, :wave:
I agree with Stator.
I also feel that you should enjoy your bun, enjoy getting to know his personality, enjoy looking for signs that he is trying to tell you what he wants, & try to respond to encourage him to communicate with you.

This achieves 2 things.
a) You'll be amazed by their intelligence & desire to form a relationship as they grow up.
b) You'll find that they are quite routine animals & immediately notice the slightest behavioural changes which are early indicators that all is not well.

Please put your mind at rest & enjoy. :D
Will do, I think its because this is my first rabbit and am so attached:love:

I think we are all very attached to our buns indeed. They have such amazing personalities, with so many similarities to us & ALSO a very rabbit way of seeing the world.

So many of us on here have bunnies with ongoing health problems, but please remember that the forum is global, & we represent the tiniest fraction of bunny owners most of whom have very healthy buns. :D:wave:

I think we are all very attached to our buns indeed. They have such amazing personalities, with so many similarities to us & ALSO a very rabbit way of seeing the world.

So many of us on here have bunnies with ongoing health problems, but please remember that the forum is global, & we represent the tiniest fraction of bunny owners most of whom have very healthy buns. :D:wave:
Yeah I agree... the personality is sooo much like my own. Poor old boyfriend:roll:... She is wilful messy and bossy

i was told my cross bred rabbit would live a year but that was almost ten years ago by a vet so you shouldn't always listen to other people

thanks shellypops :wave:
my rabbit is a cross dawf and sliver fox i took him to my vet and he told be
that he wont live past two because of the dawf rabbit in him but thats WRONG and he is still going strong :wave:

Last edited:
I don't think it really matters... I have had and have crossbreeds and purebred. My oldest in fact is a cross bred lop (possibly a French lop x something smaller or a mini lop x something bigger) and he was 11 in December and still going strong! I really have not found anything different! In fact, it is likely that crossbreeds are overall a bit healthier as they would have a wider gene pool than purebreds so less likely (though not impossible) to have any inherited issues.

Vera

Back