• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Behaviour Change after Spaying

Hessen

Banned
Got Rum booked in now after advice on these forums :)

I've read that her behaviour can change afterwards, although generally positive in being more docile and less aggressive etc. I'm wondering what peoples real world experiences are?

At the moment she is a very fraidy cat bunbun, she runs like hell away from me anytime I get near her and hates being picked up or even stroked. She's 9 months old and deaf.

when i had my girlie bun spayed she did change a little but not that much. Mainly she was less 'growly' if i put my hand near her.. she still does it if i touch her carrot or something but no charging at me. i have had her for nearly 5 years now and she has always been a very nervous rabbit. She will come sniff me now but i still struggle to get her to pick up to groom etc. Dont think that is down to hormones. I just tend to tempt her with food and not do anything to her to get her trust. Only thing that works with my girls.. food!!;) Hope the spay op goes well

Daisy was in a proper teenage tantrums phase when she was spayed, but the demure ladylike bun I was hoping would emerge once the hormones settled never materialised :lol:

Spaying is so important healthwise and some bunnies with aggression do seem to be a lot calmer afterwards. Who knows, maybe Rum will be more affectionate / less scared ... but even if she isn't greatly changed at least you'll know you've given her a much better future without the risk of uterine cancer and other related health probs.

Hope it al goes well for cute little Rum :)

I'm sure she'll be fine, I hope she's a bit calmer, would be nice to feed her without her having to wait for me to leave the room before eating!

Don't know if it helps.
Rabbits have very poor eyesight in most of their very wide visual field - more like our peripheral vision. Their only 3D vision is a narrow strip a considerable distance to the front. Their blind spot means that they cannot see immediately in front.

They are highly reliant on remarkably acute hearing & smell for their perception of the world. So they tolerate blindness more than deafness.

As prey animals they often have a reflex freeze if a moving, tall object, (human) even casts a shadow over them. This happens from time to time when Thumper & I are playing running games.

I can understand how deafness would make the world a very frightening place for your bun, because of her wild instincts.

Timid buns & buns in general seem to relate better if you lie flat on the floor with them & allow them to explore you,especially with an irresistible treat on your chest/tummy. Mine doesn't like any perfumery - I use non scented soap & washing powder for clothes, so he knows me by scent.

We now need help from someone with actual experience of a deaf rabbit.

Scent is probably a big factor, as she prefers OH a lot more than me. Maybe I'll change to a more girlie showergel :lol:

I've tried laying down with treats and allowing her to come to me and it has mixed results but no lasting effect of association me with something good.

It breaks my heart everytime I go to say hello to her and she looks at me totally petrified before legging it.

Yes, scent is a big factor.
My bun has all his senses. He had a true phobia of dogs until very recently.
Although we have a very close relationship, I returned from a walk during which I had patted a dog, & forgot to wash my hands, before greeting him.
Although I said "Hi thumps" as i walked into the room, when I got within a yard & bent down to stroke him he belted upstairs to his hiding hole (burrow substitute).

Is your rabbit a rescue? Perhaps been abused badly by a male?
ETA is this fear something new or has she always been nervous?

Last edited:
I had two females spayed, so can only really talk about what happened with them. One of them was very nervous and also territorial - she used to bite my OH if he tried to put his hand in the hutch. She never bit again after the spay, but continued to be quite nervous, but not territorial. The other was quite dominant, and just became a bit less so after the spay. In both it was a very gradual change over a number of weeks.

So, I'd say that you don't get a huge change of personality, more a slightly altered one.

Biscuit didn't change at all. I thought it would calm her down and make her easier to live with, but oooooh no, she is still satan!

I think it mainly calms agressive behaviour, not so much the just naughty and playing up for the hell of it behaviour!

It took a while before Bisc was happy to be stroked, as for picking up, she hates it so we just don't bother. If she can't walk there herself, she doesn't go!

I was scared to death that it would change her before I took her in, but she was fine after a few days. I felt so guilty getting it done though. :( I cried when I dropped her off at the vets.

I'm worried about the separation from Raisin too, although they'll still be near they really like cuddling and he's so protective of her. :(:(

That and he's not going to get groomed fro a couple of weeks. He'll be filthy!

I'm worried about the separation from Raisin too, although they'll still be near they really like cuddling and he's so protective of her. :(:(

That and he's not going to get groomed fro a couple of weeks. He'll be filthy!

When we had our girl dog spayed (can't use the proper word!), our male dog wasn't too impressed that we took her away. When we brought her back all done, he was wonderful with her though, sensing she was poorly and giving her kisses and cuddles, he was so gentle.

He was an absolute gentleman though, as I am sure Raisin is :)

Hessen, have you thought of taking her to Great Western Referrals off Shrivenham Rd. for neuter? All the vets are really geared up for rabbits, they like any companion bun to be admitted too, have their own rabbit ward, & will give you top advice on any health or behaviour issue.
We usually see Marie or Neil.
Marie (Kubiac) posts on here.

Back