• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Minstrel Going to Vets this morning :(

mrs munkee

Mama Doe
Some of you may recall the strange head jerking thing that she was doing a year and a half ago...

(here's the original thread - http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=136352 )

Well, she started doing it quite badly again last night with a really audible clicking sound and her chest was heaving like when humans do hiccups....
The only reason I didn't call the emergency vet is because she was eating and grooming fine. It was just when she was at still and she looked rather uncomfortable.

This morning the strange head jerking is nowhere near as violent, but I called the vets and they asked me to bring her in, although I'm pretty sure the diagnosis will be the same as before because her heart rate is so fast at the vets.

The appt is at 11:15

The vet has suggested I just observe her for a few days to see if it improves.

Needless to say, we got to the vets and she just froze and her heart rate went through the roof :roll:. no other obvious symptoms and her general behaviour is normal. She is bright eyed and alert. The vet, understandably, didn't want to offer treatment when as far as he can see there is nothing wrong :? I think the next step, if there is no improvement is to give her a GA so she can be looked at thoroughly and go from there. Their myxi jabs are booked for monday so we shall see how she is then unless she gets worse.

I asked about respiratory infections, but the vet expected there to be nasal discharge. I am going to give her a hair cut this afternoon as she is very long at the moment, incase she's ingested some.

could you video her doing it so that the vet can see it even if she doesnt display it at the vets surgery?
Hope she is ok and gets back to her normal self soon

I did, but the video really didn't show much except a bit of twitching of the ears :roll: i tried to explain it was much worse in reality, but when she's sat at the vets looking bright eyed and bushy tailed it's hard to get it across. It's not like she's hunched up in a corner looking decidedly ill :?

if she was put under general anaesthetic would that show up any irregularities in her breathing or heart rate? or would it be better for them to observe her over night?

Back