• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Another problem

Nummy

Young Bun
:shock: I am going crazy!!! I took Nummy to the vet the other day for the lack of eating, The vet said Nummy would be fine just feed critical care. He palpatated and the whole nine yards. I also told him that I suspected a urinary infection because Nummy would back up and lift his tail like he was gonna wee, but nothing would come out. He is weeing but not his usual amount, but he isn't drinking tons of water either. Tonight Nummy is acting so wierd, he looks like he is heaving to vomit then licks his tummy, his posture looks like he is gonna clean his bottom but he just pauses and sits all hunched up.acting like he wants to throw-up his nose stops twitching when this happens. He sort of moves forward suddenly (but it's not a jerk) and all of his muscles on his sides seem to tense up. Am I losing him!!!! I am starting to freak out a little. He is on some antibiotics, and I gave him pain medication but he looks so streased out. He just keeps doing this hunching thing. The vet felt nothing earlier, any ideas? Does this sound like gas? I am so worried!!!

Last edited:
I would suggest you go back to the Vet as what you are describing is very abnormal and possibly indicative of a bladder obstuction caused by Uroliths (bladder stones).
If this were to be the case it is potentially fatal.

Please contact your Vet again ASAP.

I will be seeing a vet soon I hope, it is only 2:30am here and I can't sleep when he is like this. I gave him som metacam around 12:30am and I have been noticing he is drinking alot of water. Is this normal? I am so scared! He had his bloodwork done before his surgery and all was normal. I hope it is not kidneys. He seems so unconfortable and I feel helpless right now :( Should I still syringe feed him? He hasn't eaten for a while?

Last edited:
If he is still not eating for himself due to Dental pain then you will need to give syringe feeds.
However, my concern is that there is more going on than the Dental issues.

Good luck at the Vets

I am terrified!!! I have called both vets, and took all appointments. I have noticed that Nummy hasn't wee'd at all. Maybe tis is stones? I am so worried, and wish someone would help him now! He really does not want to eat or nothing what should i do??? I have to wait for his appointment at 2:30.

I am terrified!!! I have called both vets, and took all appointments. I have noticed that Nummy hasn't wee'd at all. Maybe tis is stones? I am so worried, and wish someone would help him now! He really does not want to eat or nothing what should i do??? I have to wait for his appointment at 2:30.

Can you just present yourself and him at the Vet's Clinic and explain face-to-face how urgent you think the situation is.

Update!!

Well Nummy was trying to pass a bladder stone. It was horrible!! The vet expressed his bladder and the stone was already at the door it just popped out along with all the wee he was holding! He is feeling better now though and is staying the night at the vet's getting xrays and the whole nine yards. My vet was astounded that Nummy even passed the stone at all it was almost the size of a pea. The vet is confident that the worst of the problems may be over, but I will have to wait to see what the xrays reveal. I will keep everyone posted on Nummy and his progress. I am just keeping my fingers crossed and sending him lots of good vibes :) I know he needs it!

I would suggest you go back to the Vet as what you are describing is very abnormal and possibly indicative of a bladder obstuction caused by Uroliths (bladder stones).
If this were to be the case it is potentially fatal.

Please contact your Vet again ASAP.

You're so clever Jane, you really are! :)

Glad Nummy is feeling better :)

Well Nummy was trying to pass a bladder stone. It was horrible!! The vet expressed his bladder and the stone was already at the door it just popped out along with all the wee he was holding! He is feeling better now though and is staying the night at the vet's getting xrays and the whole nine yards. My vet was astounded that Nummy even passed the stone at all it was almost the size of a pea. The vet is confident that the worst of the problems may be over, but I will have to wait to see what the xrays reveal. I will keep everyone posted on Nummy and his progress. I am just keeping my fingers crossed and sending him lots of good vibes :) I know he needs it!

Ouchee poor little chap !!

Sending lots of get well vibes for Nummy xx

The vet has called and said that Nummy passed the only stone there was, and is feeling much better. I am so relieved that this was the case! Thank-you Jack's-Jane for helping! Your hunch was dead on! I am so glad that I came to this website for advice, it is the first place I always come to for advice when I can't get to my vet! Thank-you again! :D

Glad Nummy has turned the corner (again!)
What an interesting thread!
Top diagnostics JacksJane :)
Tell Nummy he is not to give you any more scares & sleepless nights.

The vet has called and said that Nummy passed the only stone there was, and is feeling much better. :D

Fantastic news :D

Hopefully your Vet will advise you about dietry modifications Nummy is likely to need to try to minimise the risk of more stones forming

It may be helpful for you to have a read of these

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/Mech_diseases/Urolithiasis.pdf

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/calcium.htm

I hope that Nummy will soon be home :)

Thank-you for the links! I obviously need to change his food. I have to admit Nummy eats alot of pellets, and he rarely eats any hay. He is a rescued rabbit I got 5 years ago. I don't think his previous owners gave him any hay at all. I do give it to him all the time, but he never eats it. Any ideas on how I could change that? I also think I have been giving him the wrong greens. I usually give him some romaine lettuce, dandilion leaves, spinich, leaf lettuce, ocasionally kale, and mint leaves. I was reading that some of my choices are high in calcium, and I just don't know what I should be giving him. He is a bit picky too lol. Is romaine lettuce ok to give?

Thank-you for the links! I obviously need to change his food. I have to admit Nummy eats alot of pellets, and he rarely eats any hay. He is a rescued rabbit I got 5 years ago. I don't think his previous owners gave him any hay at all. I do give it to him all the time, but he never eats it. Any ideas on how I could change that? I also think I have been giving him the wrong greens. I usually give him some romaine lettuce, dandilion leaves, spinich, leaf lettuce, ocasionally kale, and mint leaves. I was reading that some of my choices are high in calcium, and I just don't know what I should be giving him. He is a bit picky too lol. Is romaine lettuce ok to give?

Small amounts would be OK.

Do the pellets you feed contain alfalfa ? Alfalfa is very high in calcium.

Here's a bit more info

http://www.carrotcafe.com/n/calcium.html

Getting him to eat hay now may not be possible as he already has established Dental Disease. So it may not be that he wont eat hay but that he cant.

Last edited:
:oops: I think the pellets did contain alphalfa meal. I did buy the vets brand (Oxbow Company) It is all timothy hay. I just picked him up from the vets today, they said he is much better but he is still not really eating. So I still have to syringe him critical care. He is eating a little bit of leaf greans today since we have been home :D. He is also on metacam for 5 days. I hope he starts to eat more own his own soon. But the good news is he is feeling much better and seems to be on the road to a full recovery! Thanks again to all who helped us!

Back