• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help - need an idiots guide to nebulizing!

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
In anticipation of what the vet is going to diagnose at tomorrows appointment...

Can anyone give me an idiots guide to nebulizing? i.e. what equipment will I need, what drugs are best, etc.

:wave:

You will need:

A nebulizer (I bought one from maplin for £20 but it is now discontinued), and ideally a see-through plastic box with lid. Be warned you will probably need one that is a bit bigger than you think; I got one I thought would be massive for Santa but she only just fits! Perspective is a funny thing when you're in a shop without a bunneh. I've seen them as storage boxes in B&Q for just a few pounds.

You then need to cut a hole in the box at about nose-height, the same size/shape as the mouthpiece for the nebuliser. I found this quite tricky but got there in the end.

What to use in it? I guess it depends on why it's being used. My vet chatted with an exotics vet about this and I was subsequently advised to use F10 disinfectant at a 1:200 dilution with saline. You can buy the F10 online and your vet should be able to give you saline. I make up 100ml at a time as it's such a small amount of F10 that it's tricky to get the amount right with anything smaller, and just keep it in a sterile jar which I squeeze a bit out of each time.

I nebulise for about 20 minutes at a time, 2 times a day. F10 becomes anti-fungal after 15 minutes hence the need to nebulise for longer than this, as it can help to fight off any other opportunistic things going on up there.

Hope that helps :)

Back