• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New rabbit...health advice please!!!

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
I've just been to collect a new rabbit. She is mouth breathing, is very wet and smelly underneath, and has purulent discharge from her nose and also from her rear end.

She has nibbled a few bits of food, but I don't think she can eat much due to her breathing. I doubt the reluctance to eat is very long term because she is rather overweight.

Any suggestions as to what it might be? I'm erring towards a systemic infection of pasteurella or similar nasty bacteria...but would you see pus coming from the nose AND rear end??? Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome. :wave:

Does she have pyometra? as well as an RTI. Do you know if she is spayed. Also possible she could have an infection in her sent glands if she is spayed.

Poor girl, she sound in a bad way, sending loads of vibes xx

Does she have pyometra? as well as an RTI. Do you know if she is spayed. Also possible she could have an infection in her sent glands if she is spayed.

Poor girl, she sound in a bad way, sending loads of vibes xx

No, she isn't spayed :(

I hope it's not something like pyometra, although I think this is often associated with pasteurella isn't it?

No, she isn't spayed :(

I hope it's not something like pyometra, although I think this is often associated with pasteurella isn't it?

I'm not sure, the bunny we took with pyometra had been recently spayed by the so called rescue but they never gave her her follow up antibiotics so she still had infection in her vaginal cavity and scent glands. If you suspect pyometra she needs to see a vet now as she could end up with septacemia really quickly:(:(

She's got the first appointment tomorrow morning :wave:

Our emergency vets are generally a bit rubbish...don't want to pay over £100 to be told to take her to my vets tomorrow morning, or just offer PTS :(:(

I have the same problem.:roll:

I'm guessing you have a supply of antibiotics there, could you ring the vet and get a dose for her so at least she has something to cover her tonight. I am pretty sure Meredith did really well on a high dose of baytril :)

I have given some stuff that I think could help...can't really talk about it on here

I very much doubt she's pregnant, but not 100% certain

Bunny had a remarkably good good night considering her condition, and the vets appointment went really well too.

She was totally dry underneath this morning, and I couldn't see any discharge from her rear, so I wonder if it was a combination of sitting in dirty bedding and excreting muccous because she's not eating properly :?

Her breathing is still really bad because she is unable to breathe through her nose, but the vet had a listen to her chest and thinks it's all upper respiratory (not pneumonia yet...yay! :D ). And her teeth look fine.

She's on antibiotics, bisolvin and anti inflammatories to try to thin down the discharge and reduce congestion. The vet didn't want to stress her out too much in case it made her breathing worse, but she'll have her tear ducts flushed and maybe start nebulizing soon.

The most important thing now is to get her to start eating properly. I really want to avoid syringe feeding in case she aspirates it...so really hoping I don't have to.

Obviously she's still very poorly, but I'm much more optimistic than I was yesterday evening :D

Back