• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Little Bobster is very ill........updated 13.01.10 post 35.

Bobster

Young Bun
And I'm totally beside myself. I've copied this post from the 'care' section, in case anyone here can help.

She has lost weight VERY quickly over the last few days, I took her to the Emergency vets last night as I couldn't bare to wait another day. Blood test were done, and they came back normal - thankfully. But there was a lot of blood in her urine.
She is eating a little food, and drinking a little water - but I can feel every bone in her. She is lying in her usual position, quite lethargic but not hunched and seems quite comfortable. Just very dis-interested.
The vet gave her an anti-biotic injection (I failed to ask which one!), and she is due back tomorrow morning for further examination and treatment.

In the mean time I'm trying to encourage her to eat - today she has has a nibble at - carrot tops, broccolli stems, sunflower seeds and porridge oats, just a little of each.....She is approx 7 years old. The vet mentioned it 'could just be deterioration because of her age' - but I'm determined it's not just that. This time last week she was a happy healthy jumping around bunny!

She lives indoors - I also have a cat (which I shall mention to the vet tomorrow) I'm concerned she may have picked something up from her?!

Anyone with any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.

A healthy 'peeping' Bobbi

JillsNewPictures206-2.jpg

And getting cuddles....

Image02.jpg

Last edited:
And I'm going to ask about pain relief for her. To get her through tonight until her appointment tomorrow.

I am really sorry to hear about Bobster, fingers crossed she is ok. I'm sorry I don't ahve any good advice really....just good wishes.

So how can I judge if she needs an emergency spay??? I'm willing to try anything. I'm just not sure how keen the vet is...

Can't really offer any advice but I have a very similar problem with my rabbit, she has lost a lot of muscle and is very bony.
She is 6 this year and has been speyed. She has Pasturella and is on Engemycin by injection every 3 days but has been for ages. She is not eating her pellets so have had to buy some muesli mix which she will eat, she is also eating all types of greens and porridge oats mixed with water.

She was meant to go in for a blood test last week but I couldn't get there due to snow so she is going in this Thursday I am hoping to get some answers after this.

Sorry I can't offer any real advice but know exactly how you are feeling I feel so useless!:(

hi. i dont want to be the person to say this but same thing happened to me in may last year my bunny was fine and then all of a sudden she would bleed even though she was happy. she didnt lose weight until the end though. basially we think she had a tumour (cancer) from not being spayed. they gave me metacam and something else to give her and they xrayed her to see what was causing the bleeding but they couldnt see and she wouldnt survive anesthetic so there was nothing we could do and she live 8 months after she first started bleeding. hope its not what my clover had vibes for bobster

I'm not sure if bloods show up any abnormalities if you are thinking it may be cancer, maybe someone else can advise. I think the only sure way to see if there is anything, then an X-ray would show it.

Hopefully it will be a water infection. Even if it is, then you may still want to consider a spay when she is well.

Sending her lots of vibes, I hope she improves with the antibiotics.

So how can I judge if she needs an emergency spay??? I'm willing to try anything. I'm just not sure how keen the vet is...

You could put a separate post on to see if there are any bunny savvy vets in your area if you are not confident with your own.

i dont think they will spay a rabbit over 7 years because the chances of them surviving the aniethetic is slim well thats what i was told by my local vet sbut maybe different vets will

Well I'm taking her down to the emergency vet now. The LEAST I want is pain relief. I'll let you know how I get on.

i dont think they will spay a rabbit over 7 years because the chances of them surviving the aniethetic is slim well thats what i was told by my local vet sbut maybe different vets will

My vet tends not spay over the age of 7 in routine cases but a U/S scan would probably show any tumours which would indicate an emergency spay. There is also the possibility of kidney or bladder problems in an older bunny.

I would definately ask for a ultrasound scan or x-rays along with a urine test. Hope the emergency vet is helpful and you get the pain relief she needs

Sending vibes xx

Gosh. I'm back already. They've given her some pain relief and a shot of anti biotic, as they are treating it as a urinary infection at the moment.

Slightly OT, but please read - I rang them last night, initially through my private vets number. When I got there I realised I could get help as I receive benefit for being a carer. Never knew this. All this time I've been paying £100 plus for emergency treatment for all my pets. Not that I would EVER begrudge it.
So, anyway, I had to go over to 'the other side'. Basically the same reception, same vet, but different room (?). Now I'm not saying they don't do a brilliant job as a charity - but the response I got this evening, to the one last night when I was paying top whack!!!
Last night - quote 'Well you'd better bring her in, because rabbits can go down hill very quickly'
Tonight - quote 'You should have brought her through the day - this is an emergency clinic. She's fine, jumping around out the back, alert, maintaining her temperature. If you're not happy with how she is at home then there is euthanasia'

WTF!!! Sorry to go slightly off topic, but I was quite shocked! :shock:

All I wanted was for my Bobs to have a comfortable night.

Back