• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Porridge

yvette

Wise Old Thumper
How often do you guys give porridge?? I gave mine porridge for the first time last night...with raisins.(Made with water and no sugar..)
Mrs B licked the bowl sparkling clean...Beebee left just under half and some raisins.
I gather its a treat....and its fattening, but it was so cold.....

everyday! :oops:

Noisette is still underweight (1 kilo to go :D) so she definitely needs to eat her porridge. Oscars just a fat batch and eats Noisettes porridge with her, so I end up giving more than needed!

Mine love it some days, but other days they are not keen on it at all... I think its very rich for them so when they have eaten all their hay veggies and pellets, there's not much room left for the porridge!

I gave Sooty a teaspoon of oats twice a day when she needed to put weight back on (and fed her separately, away from Muppet who definitely didnt need to put any on!!).

I've been giving Muppet oats by himself recently as he's been having problems eating so it was a case of forgetting what a sensible diet is and finding anything he would nibble at.

I know I've read somewhere that it's bad for rabbits to have too much carbohydrate but I cant remember why.

I gave Dexter some to try with some apple in it (had run out of nanna) but he turned his nose up...

am I making it wrong? Anyone got a good bunny porridge recipe?

I gave Dexter some to try with some apple in it (had run out of nanna) but he turned his nose up...

am I making it wrong? Anyone got a good bunny porridge recipe?

Its just porridge...a small amount with the same amount in water with a bit more,bunged in the microwave...2 mins later..PING!! Let it cool a bit,add the tasty noms...thats it.
Perhaps your Dexie wanats sugar!!:p

I wouldn't feed anywhere near as much porridge as needs 2 minutes in the microwave :shock: Even for a really underweight average sized bun I would only give max a heaped teaspoon at a time - I just pour a little boiling water onto it and let it cool for a minute or two, and bob's your uncle. I have also mashed a little slice of banana into it for some buns before now (or used it to disguise baytril :lol:)

Personally I wouldn't give porridge to healthy buns at all, and you do still need to be very careful with poorly buns as it is high in carbohydrate so can easily upset their gut flora and make them even more poorly. It's also very sticky so can slow down gut motility, especially if it's not well wetted before being eaten.

It's also very sticky so can slow down gut motility, especially if it's not well wetted before being eaten.

That's useful to know - my two were happy eating plain oats so I didnt bother to water it down. Mind you, the rate Sooty eats hay I dont think her guts will ever have a chance to slow down!!! *fingers crossed*

May I mention, thats what I do with my own porridge.....and the amount I make for myself,I dont give it all to my bunnies.First time theyd ever had it too......

May I mention, thats what I do with my own porridge.....and the amount I make for myself,I dont give it all to my bunnies.First time theyd ever had it too......

Phew! :lol: Thanks for clarifying :D I bet most bunnies would have a good go at polishing off a human sized bowlful given half a chance though :)

Phew! :lol: Thanks for clarifying :D I bet most bunnies would have a good go at polishing off a human sized bowlful given half a chance though :)

Yeah! My lot would!! Id have bunnies that had a warm glow all round them...!!
They just had a teaspoon or 2..no more than that.xxx

[/QUOTE]Perhaps your Dexie wanats sugar!!
Yup!! you're right there, he definitely has a sweet tooth... thinks he's a fruit bat! Might mash up some nanna or raspberries in there, see if he likes it better. Not exactly a healthy combo for a bun tho right, fruit and carbs. He's like his bunny silly hoomin mother, likes food thats bad for him. :roll:

Perhaps your Dexie wanats sugar!!
Yup!! you're right there, he definitely has a sweet tooth... thinks he's a fruit bat! Might mash up some nanna or raspberries in there, see if he likes it better. Not exactly a healthy combo for a bun tho right, fruit and carbs. He's like his bunny silly hoomin mother, likes food thats bad for him. :roll:

Dont we all!!!!
My failing is jelly snakes......:love::lol::lol:

Jelly snakes?? mine too... :oops: and cheese, chocolate, sherbert, biscuits, bread, sponge, milk, custard, toffee, caramel, anything with aniseed, marmite, jam, peanut butter, lemon curd, olives, ketchup, POTATOES, popcorn, actual corn, pasta, rice, mmm chilli, bolognese, avocado, basil dripping oil, plum tomatoes, asparagus, raspberries, strawberries, fillet steak, dirty kebab, beef wellington, pate, ANYTHING covered in sweet & sour from the chinese, battered banana....

I could go on. I think, basically, if it doesn't move away quick enough, I'll eat it. And yes I am the size of a house because I have no self control.

And yes, I should not even contemplate half this rubbish because I am diabetic. :oops:

Can't wait until I get married in October... he's gonna need a wide angle lens.

Ahhhh! He's drcided he likes a nice bowl of porridge. But it has to have raspberries, and it has to be cold. Weirdo.

Except.... Mummy makes a nice bit of cold raspberry porridge for breakfast... (it turns a toxic pink colour)... and comes down from her shower to find her cute little dexter now has a PINK CHIN!!!! :roll::roll::roll:

Lesson of the day: Do not leave a white rabbit alone with a bowl of pink goo. It will only end in pink chins.

Ahhhh! He's drcided he likes a nice bowl of porridge. But it has to have raspberries, and it has to be cold. Weirdo.

Except.... Mummy makes a nice bit of cold raspberry porridge for breakfast... (it turns a toxic pink colour)... and comes down from her shower to find her cute little dexter now has a PINK CHIN!!!! :roll::roll::roll:

Lesson of the day: Do not leave a white rabbit alone with a bowl of pink goo. It will only end in pink chins.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Back