• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

PLEASE HELP rabbit has nibbled foxglove

Giant

New Kit
I have X posted from health because nobody was answering.

My rabbit has eaten about 1cm of foxglove leaf.

I heard this is poisnous?

He looks fine

What do I do?

This is poisonous (very) all parts of the plant. It can cause problems with the heart/nervous system.

Please ring the vet who will either know what to do or will themselves ring the toxic help-line.

By the way - where are you? All foxgloves should have died back by now and also be under several inches of snow!!

The foxgloves are dead, but there was a green leaf next to one of them which I thought was a foxglove leaf?

could you tell me if it is if I post a picture of the leaf?

I am in Bath

This is what the leaf looked like

I had to take it off the foxglove plant (big tall things?)

IMG00077-20100111-1531.jpg

yes thats a foxglove - I guess it was protected from the frost under the other ones (it does happen). I really would check with your vets.

Thank you for your help and identifying the leaf

I have called the vet and he laughed at me saying that if the rabbit has only eaten a tiny amount then it will be fine. He said the signs to look out for are if it has trouble breathing, then bring him in...

I hope he's right.

Bit insensitive to laugh at you since youre so worried about your bun.
But as the insensitive oaf says,Observe..Closely.....
Failing that,get another vet!!!:wave:

At this time of year the toxin content may be low (don;t ask . . . ) and it is a small piece. However you may want to think of changing vet - and then laughing at them when they do not get your money any more!!!

At this time of year the toxin content may be low (don;t ask . . . ) and it is a small piece. However you may want to think of changing vet - and then laughing at them when they do not get your money any more!!!

agreed!

hope your bun is ok.

:lol::lol::lol:

I would remove all toxic plants from the garden as you can't watch them 24/7. I think the vet is right as it was a small amount. I would give him a pile of hay and a some pellets so he poos. How will you check on his breathing if he is outside?

Back