• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I feel really bad :(

AilsaDS

Warren Scout
I had my kittens claws clipped today & Finlay really fought - he had to be scruffed by the nurse whilst another nurse clipped him :cry:

One of the nurses made me feel really bad too by asking why I was clipping kittens (8mo) when they're outdoor cats & their claws will wear anyway - she was really abrupt & made me feel like I was a bad kitty mommy.

I already know all that about how their claws usually wear down naturally but they keep scratching Phillip, playfully I know, but I'm not going to risk Phillip's health for the sake of a few long & VERY sharp claws :?

The bunny nurse was lovely though, she totally agreed with me about clipping the kittens claws, especially when she saw (& felt) how sharp they were as they haven't been worn down at all in the last 2/3 months they've been going outside.

Aw poor you. Some professionals have no tact at all. You obviously care about your animals and they should be thankful.
It is horrible when they scruff them, my cat went for ME when at vets and the vets scruffed him and told him off. It didnt hurt my cat Syd but it hurt me.

Just try and rise above the insensitivness of some people x

My cats are outdoors but their claws don't seem to wear down at all. I clip them myself occasionally but they hate it and it is a bit of a struggle. It sounds like the nurse didn't handle the situation very well at all...

Don't feel mean hun, it has to be done, i cut my kitty's claws. She fought me a bit at first but is actually eaiser to do than the buns now.
My little one doesn't go outside on her own yet, only when we are in the garden, we leave the door open for her but she just doesn't go at the moment so her claws were really really sharp, she was ripping me to shreds when padding me, even when getting down from my lap she was making me bleed!

Ive clipped my kittens claws :? me and my mum were covered it cuts from them running up our legs etc. So clipped the sharp ends off.

Thanks everyone

They're getting used to their short claws now & are frantically scratching trying to make them sharp again, but they've both been much better with Phillip (& me) not using their claws half as much ;)

Last edited:
when do they use there claws on you,

we managed to train 2 of ours to jump up on us without useing thiers,by very gently squeezing the paws so the claws retract back in,gently saying no,

as they look at you while they are doing there pumelling, with the look of " what im ment to do this you cant tell me what to do "

granted we had 9 cats this worked only on 2, and it took a very long time months

though i will with kittens it will take longer as for a while they will think its a game

The claws get sharp again very quickly, i did Fi's just over 3 weeks ago and had to do them again today as she drew blood from me yet again :roll: I'm sure she is sharpening them on something!

I feel really bad

I know how you feel:cry:my disabled Kitty hetty has to have her claws cut as she is a housecat so they do not wear down:cry:I do them myself with clippers that i bought from my vets:) but she hates it and makes a huge fuss everytime that i clip them:cry:
I get upset and so does she but they have to be done:cry:
I sit her on my lap and try to do them quickly but she has other ideas so they take ages:cry:
I cannot see why your vet,s assistant would be nasty about clipping your pussies claws as i would think this is a nomal part of working in a surgery:)
Have you tried doing them yourself? it,s easy to do and saves having to take your puss to the vets:)

hi, no I haven't been brave enough to do them myself.. I could as they have clear nails so it's easy to see the quick.. but Finlay especially doesn't like anything that doesn't involve food or cuddles :roll:

Neither of them deliberately scratch, but they are just doing what cats do... when they want to sit on my knee they use their front claws as purchase to pull themselves up.
I don't mind them scratching me in the process because it's not intentional, they're not trying to hurt me.. they're just cats :love:

They still playfight with each other a lot & sometimes Phillip walks right through them as they're doing it.. resulting in him getting the occasional scratch.
I must admit that they're getting better around Phillip though, especially as last time this happened he grunted & bit Finlay's leg - they tend to stop fighting when Phillip's nearby now :lol::lol:

I used to 'towel' Mums cat to do his......Does take some co-ordination and 2 people though (one to hold the towel and one to sort the legs out and clip the nails) so it could get a bit tricky.

Back