• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bedding?

tweak

New Kit
Is it really needed for a indoor bun?

Cadbury uses her litter tray most of the time, but do I really need to put bedding in her cage? Maybe just throw an old towel around the litter tray in case there is an accident. Anything helps!! Thanks

Sorry I can't help but I was wondering exactly the same thing.

Mooch has a cage in the livingroom but the door is off so he can come and go as he pleases, he makes so much mess all round the room with the megazorb sticking to him. I have to hoover every day.

I am planning on trying him with a blanket down in his cage rather than megazorb to see how we get on with that instead. :wave:

Yeah shes the same way. With money tight with vet bills and everything I could save the buck. If its needed thou I wont stop buying it

Rum & Raisin are free range indoor bunbuns and we use newspaper and straw in the litter tray but that's it. They rarely use the hutch and just sleep on the carpet/rug/sofa each night.

I was thinking about replacing the megazorb in Moochs cage with vetbed cut to fit. Do you think this would be suitable?

Vet Bed

It would stop the mess, but not sure if Mooch would like it as much. He is usually stretched out on the carpet but I put him in his cage at night.

Personally I use carefresh bedding topped with hay in my bun's littertray & he also uses that as a bed (silly bun).
I have a proper 'hideaway' type bed for him but he won't use it except to dig out the carefresh bedding.

I haven't tried megazorb or a vetbed though so I'm unable to advise specifically, just on my own experience.
You know your own bunny though & if she's likely to chew the vetbed or not :)

YOu dont need that sort of 'bedding' no. When I had an indoor cage for Muppet, I had wood shaving and a litter tray. I learned very quickly that wood shavings end up EVERYWHERE, even rooms he didnt go in! I quickly swopped to litter tray at one end of the cage and profleece in the rest (similar to vetbed).

I dont have a cage anymore, my two free range completely in the dining room. They have profleece to lie on. Sooty lives on hers. Muppet quite likes to sleep on the door mat in front of the draughty door :roll:

The only 'litter' is in their litter tray. If you have a litter tray outside the cage putting a small doormat down cuts down on the amount of litter tracked through the house, as more drops off their paws there as they jump out. (I also found it useful when the litter tray was inside the cage.)

i can't wait until bart is mature enough to be litter trained so i can do away with all of the wood shavings! they are sodding irritating :lol:

Travis always used to push everything to one side and sleep on the plastic when he had an indoor cage. He hates towels and vetbed. I only use that in his carrier. Newspaper lasted an hour or so before being trashed. :roll: I'm so glad he's now in a pen on carpet and only needs "bedding" in his litter tray!

My bun dosen't need it. She never used it when it was in there. She has hay in her litter tray, cardboard on the floor and that's it. She dosen't go in a box so there are none in there, she has a tunnel she likes to lie in but no bedding. :)

Definately decided that replacing the megazorb with vet bed/profleece is a good idea :)

I have to hoover up megazorb daily, it gets everywhere! Mooch has a litter tray out of his cage, so will se how we get on with one in his cage too, for when hes in at night. I'll be glad to be rid of the megazorb all over the carpet! :lol:

We use newspaper with hay on top in the litter tray and old towels and rugs in the sleeping area of the cage. We still need to hoover every day because the hay gets everywhere. But it's cheap and practical and the rabbits like the hay and don't wee anywhere else in the cage.

My buns are free range in the kitchen, have a nero 4 type cage bottom with their litter tray at one end. Was using vetbed on top of newspaper for the rest of the cage bottom,...however my 2 have eaten/dug holes in the vet bed- it now looks like swiss cheese ;)

So at morrisons saw an offcut of carpet with rubber backing that is the perfect size for only a £5 it fits just about perfect, gives them grip and wont slip, it's nigh on impossible for them to dig at and the edges have been sewn, have had it 4 2 weeks and does the job. Amber my girlie has peed a couple of times outside the litter tray ( it must be cleaned out at least 1-2 a day, otherwise she wont use it he he), so I just shower that bit & blot dry with a used towel, or used kitchen roll to blot up & spray disinfectant, so it's as good as new. It's easy to shake out/vac off the old hay, so makes cleaning a piece of cake. Could get offcut of carpet? many carpet shops can get it edged for you.
Will post piccis so you can see what I have done, but need OH to put piccis on I'm useless with the computer :oops::shock:

Back