• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hey hey

Ryo

New Kit
Hi everyone

Soon to be a first time owner of a netherland dwarf rabbit! Cant wait

Going into town after work tomorrow to get a hutch, bowl, food, bottle, shavings, hay, toys etc from pets at home

got two choices of bunnys at the mo..

one is an all black netherland dwarf - around 7 months old

other is a black otter netherland dward - currently 6 weeks old - available to me in a fortnight when hes 8 weeks and ready to be seperated

Cant decide which to get! both tame and handled daily, i think it may be worth the small wait to get the baby black otter?

Thanks, Ryo

we are first time owners of a netherland dwarf, we,ve had her 4 weeks now and she was 8 weeks old when we got her its been like watching a child take its 1st steps, watching her learn to climb the stairs ect (sounds sad but you'll understant when you get yours) good luck

:wave: welcome to the bunny world :D

Be careful with P@H hutches as they may be too small, im sure someone will come and advise you on size but I think they must be a minimum of 5x2x2 with a 6x2x2 run attached. All too often bunnies are bought too small accomodation for their needs - they actually have a lot of energy and need a lot of room to bound about.
Also im not sure where you are getting your bun from but if you get from P@H they will be used to indoor tempeatures so therefore will need to be housed indoors until the spring - as they wont have a winter coat to survive the outside temperatures. Lots of us here have indoor buns (including me - I have 3!)

Food - their main diet is Hay and I would also suggest pellets - Excel or Science selective are good - they are much better nutritionally than Mixed rabbit food..

Sorry if you know all this - I dont want to sound patronising but I certainly didnt know all this when i got my first bun :D

Good Luck - let us know which one you chose (both sound sweet) and fire away with questions if you want to know anything else! Us here on RU can help with almost anything :D

hey thanks alot, any info i can get on them is helpfull! first time owning a bun so i want to make sure it gets the best life possible

whichever bun i get it will be coming from a breeder.

going to get a run for it aswell, joined to the cage so it can play and run around as much as it wants when im not there, but will be allowed to free-roam in the house when im in.

we have 2 lawns in the back garden, was going to keep the hutch/run assembly in the garage untill the snow clears and things start to warm up abit, then move it onto one of the lawns.
sound like a good idea?

hey thanks alot, any info i can get on them is helpfull! first time owning a bun so i want to make sure it gets the best life possible

whichever bun i get it will be coming from a breeder.

going to get a run for it aswell, joined to the cage so it can play and run around as much as it wants when im not there, but will be allowed to free-roam in the house when im in.

we have 2 lawns in the back garden, was going to keep the hutch/run assembly in the garage untill the snow clears and things start to warm up abit, then move it onto one of the lawns.
sound like a good idea?

Yes, it depends if they have come from inside or outside, but definetly now with the weather a garage is good. if an indoor bun now they will need to remain indoor.
Make sure your hutch and run is fox proof - lots of foxes about this time of year looking for their dinner :cry:
You may already have your heart set on your buns but just to let you know there are soooooo many bunnies in rescues at the moment needing good homes - if you look on the Rabbits in Need section here there are all sorts of buns - probably including Nethies.. Unfortunatley due to breeders/pet shops there are too many rabbits for the demand - its so upsettting some of the stories. Just want to make you aware but of course it is your choice!

ill have a quick peek in a sec, so if its an indoor bun it will need to remain an indoor bun permanently?

ill have a quick peek in a sec, so if its an indoor bun it will need to remain an indoor bun permanently?

Only until Spring as it doesnt have a winter coat now. It will grow a winter coat as the weather cools down for next winter.

oh and how much and how ofen should the rabbit be fed, does the amount change the older it gets?

Im not really an expert on hutches and runs as i have never had to buy one, but I know a run should have a base - as you say a bun can burrow out and a fox can burrow in!! I think some put mesh on the bottom covered with hay to stop sore feet..

Also if the bun is going to be an outdoor bun they are very sociable animals so it is recommend to have 2 to keep each other company.

This is a website recommended to me
http://www.happyhutch.co.uk/our-rabbit-hutches.php

Feeding - they must have fresh hay available all day every day. This is their main diet and as buns have very sensitive tums it is so important. Mine have a handful of veg in the morning - greens usually - spring greens, cabbage, broccoli - carrot and banana as a treat only as they are very high in sugar. Dont feed lettuce as that can give them messy bums. and a handful of excel pellets in the evening. and thats it. Dandelion also go down very well.
A good website for good hay and healthy treats is
http://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/

Another advantage of getting a rescue bun is they are neutered and vaccinated...you just pay the donation to the rescue for the bun usually about £45 but varies....otherwise it will be £50 you have to pay for neutering and £20 for VHD jab and £15 for myxy jab so it is much better in the end ;)...once you have a neutered bun he/she can have a friend if you choose to at a later date ......my first bun was from pet shop and I paid £70 to the vet for her neuter and £35 for jabs...when I wanted another bun I decided to rehome an unwanted bunny I paid £45 for him he was already neutered and had his jabs :D so you see much better in the long run and I'm sure the adopted bun will thankyou for their 'forever home' :D....oh p.s if you see a bun you like on rabbit rehome...members of the forum get together and do 'bunny runs' so that he/she can get to you! :D

wanting to get a hutch ordered up tomorrow, please would anyone be kind enough to reccomend me a good hutch/run setup?

Back