• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Good luck vibes for Jims- UPDATE- AGAIN!!

rachylou

Warren Veteran
Jimbles has a vet appointment tomorrow at 2.30 for a possible dental.
I am so nervous, hate taking him to the vets, bless him he has been such a good boy he is going to think he has been bad :cry:

Last edited:
Oh, he'll be fine. Lots of treats and cuddles when he gets home :love:
Lots of vibes for tomorrow.

Loads of good luck for Jimbles tomorrow.
He'll be fine as long as he doesn't swallow the auroscope they examine his teeth with.
ETA I rather think he'd manage to pass that on his own too!!

We went to the vets and little man had his teeth clipped and filled down so all done, he also had his nails clipped too- my good little boy!!
He was given a metrochloprimide as a precortion (Sorry my spelling is awful!:oops:)
Back home he has had a bit of curly kale as a treat and some more biscuits.

We were told that last time he went he was a little on the slim side, he has put on a tiny bit of weight but still feels boney so we have been told not to worry too much about 'over feeding' him at the moment.
It shows how my mind works cause as soon as she said he was feeling boney I thought oh my god he has cancer! I pray that is not the case!!

Great news for Jimbles. Well done little boy :D:D:D:D

Awww Rachylou, I'm so sorry you've been worrying about cancer. Dental issues are right at the top of the list of causes for for underweight buns. It's so simple. buns have to eat so much to get enough nourishment AND eat loads of fiber to keep their guts moving. If the gut slows down just a little they don't feel so hungry etc. etc. There are several buns on here at the moment whose weight loss has been of concern, but it was eventually found to be due to dental probs.
It's just a question of getting their teeth sorted & a bit more nutrient in their diet than "normal". He'll be fine - honest! :wave:

Right... Well yesterday he was eating and pooping fine, today... he is not eating his biscuits only treats and veg?
I have called the vets and they have said to see how he goes over the next few hours and see if he will eat properly and see if he is pooping. :cry:

My bun is always slow to return to normal eating after a dental,although there is no mouth ulceration.
Obviously those buns with mouth ulceration continue to find it painful to eat after a dental, until the ulcers have healed.

My vet advises metacam given once daily, 2 hours before his main eating times for a minimum of 3 days after a dental.
She always gives him a syringe feed before discharge after he has started eating on his own.
He sometimes has a gut motility agent. His particular issues respond best to zantac because they are lower gut issues.
Some buns respond better to upper gut motility agents eg metaclopramide.

ETA I hope this comment is helpful.
You are very much in my thoughts.

Thank you for your message, we have given him Fibreplex twice so far and touch wood he seems to be doing better, he has been munching on some hay, eaten lots of herbs, had a sprout, small peice of carrot and some treats, he has only eaten a few pellets but they are always the last thing he wants to eat.
I called the vets and they are happy for us to keep him at home and see how he goes as long as he is eating and pooping which so far he is.

Back